Thread: Xref layer state

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Xref layer state

Is there a way to save layer state of 1 xref's layers and after apply that layer state to same xref's layers in another drawing?
    I have ~10 drawings. To all these 10 drawings are attached few files (xrefs), VISRETAIN=1. To one reference file following changes are applied: 1 layer gone, 2 new layers arrived. After that I open 1 of those 10 drawings, reconcile 2 new layers and adjust their properties as I need and adjust properties of few other layers (old layers) of that xref . At this point question comes: is there a way to save layer state of layers belonging only to that one particular xref that has changed and after apply it to same xref's layers in another 9 drawings? Instead of opening all 9 drawings and adjusting layers manually? Note: these 10 drawings share few other xrefs and for them layer states vary among those 10 drawings. So it is very import not to change states of other xref layers.

I searched a bit through forums, but didn't succeed to find similar thread.
    Could the way be to change layer state in xref drawing as I need, change temporaly VISRETAIN to 0, reload or detach/attach xref and then change VISRETAIN back to 1? Or something like that?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Xref layer state

Quote Originally Posted by Yancka View Post
    ....I searched a bit through forums, but didn't succeed to find similar thread.
    Could the way be to change layer state in xref drawing as I need, change temporaly VISRETAIN to 0, reload or detach/attach xref and then change VISRETAIN back to 1? Or something like that?
    For this, check out this thread
    A lisp routine that does exactly this, set your xrefs the way you want them, and run the routine.

Hope it helps.

Login to Give a bone

One way to handle this will be to make the changes to the Xref layers; Do a save-as to a temp file; Get rid of all other Xrefs and drawing layers; Create a sanp-shot of the remaining layer state (which will include only that specific Xref layers); Export it and Import to other drawings to restore.

To make the changes to the Xref file itself will work just as good.
    My 2 cents on doing this is that if I reference a consultant file (which most likely I will get updates to) I will make the changes after Xrefing it to save me from redoing the changes; otherwise I will change it in the original file as you suggested and reload.

Good luck

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Or also: you could modify the original file xreffed into all 10 to the desired layer settings, save & close. Then open each of the 10 in turn, set VISRETAIN to 0 and reload only that XRef, then set VISRETAIN back to 1. You may also then want to update your layer states so the new change takes effect in the states as well.

The lisp that tedg linked to will do exactly this, but reload all xrefs so you'll lose the settings for other xrefs as well. You could modify the lisp by changing the * in (command "-xref" "reload" "*") to the name of the xref you want to reload. Then you've got a lisp which automates the process per drawing.

Or better yet, create a script and run it through ScriptPro - then it's a one click operation and wait for AutoCAD to do the work.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

just create a CUI button

^C^CQSAVE;VISRETAIN;0;XREF;R;*;VISRETAIN;1;^C^C-XREF;R;*;