Thread: AutoCAD is "Not responding"

Login to Give a bone

Angry AutoCAD is "Not responding"

I had AutoCAD '09 installed and it was constantly freezing up on me. By freezing up, I mean that it would work, then stop working, and nothing on the screen would move. If I would go into the windows task manager, it would say "not responding". This can happen up to 20 times a day, with up to 10 min lost per time. As you can see, this is ridicoulus.

In an attempt to stop this, this morning I unistalled it and installed '08 instead. Before I had my .cui file tweaked, it was already doing it. What gives? I'm aware of the google toolbar issue, and have uninstalled that feature. I'm also aware of the layer palette issue in '09, this isn't the problem. Can anyone really help me with this? I can't even find a phone # for autodesk tech support to help me with this. but I need it resolved ASAP. (it's been slowing me down for a month now!)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD is "Not responding"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary.182361 View Post
    I had AutoCAD '09 installed and it was constantly freezing up on me. By freezing up, I mean that it would work, then stop working, and nothing on the screen would move. If I would go into the windows task manager, it would say "not responding". This can happen up to 20 times a day, with up to 10 min lost per time. As you can see, this is ridicoulus.

In an attempt to stop this, this morning I unistalled it and installed '08 instead. Before I had my .cui file tweaked, it was already doing it. What gives? I'm aware of the google toolbar issue, and have uninstalled that feature. I'm also aware of the layer palette issue in '09, this isn't the problem. Can anyone really help me with this? I can't even find a phone # for autodesk tech support to help me with this. but I need it resolved ASAP. (it's been slowing me down for a month now!)

This is about your Ram and your starts applications.

Login to Give a bone

I just upgraded my RAM to 4GB in an effort to fix this, so I doubt that's it. Can you explain more about the start applications? what should be listed, how do i check what is good, etc.

Attached is a screenshot of my task manager, so if anything looks out of the ordinary, please let me know! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gary Balcom; 2008-06-02 at 01:10 PM.

Login to Give a bone

When task manager says acad is "not responding" it often means that acad is busy doing something that it considers critical and is not responding to system interrupt requests. The cause of that can be one or more of many things - network problems, looking for missing files or just rendering.
    Try leaving task manager running; watch for acad.exe using 100% of processor time.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

What is this "google toolbar" issue you mention?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I just upgraded my RAM to 4GB in an effort to fix this, so I doubt that's it. Can you explain more about the start applications? what should be listed, how do i check what is good, etc.

Attached is a screenshot of my task manager, so if anything looks out of the ordinary, please let me know! Thanks!
    From the screen shots it looks as if you're on XP right? The 4GB won't do a thing in XP32bit as it only addresses 2GB (unless you use the start-up switch to use 3GB - that's maximum). If this is the case, I'd suggest upgrading to a 64bit OS (XP / Vista) ... oh sorry XP's discontinued ... so it'll have to be Vista.

I've tried 2009 on XP32 ... it's a lot slower than 2008. But then I tried it on Vista64 ... in comparison it's "blindingly" fast - that is I don't go blind staring at the screen any more.

Login to Give a bone

I see many programs are launched.?

Login to Give a bone

I found that AutoCAD was going "not responding" if I'd set it aside for any amount of time leaving it idle.

I've tried diabling vista error reporting service, because I found that every time I came back to AutoCAD windows was busy "checking for problems".

Not sure if it's solving the issue, but I'll try to remember to check back.

I know it's an old post, but clearly this issue hasn't gone away in the last year.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 3dway View Post
    I found that AutoCAD was going "not responding" if I'd set it aside for any amount of time leaving it idle.

I've tried diabling vista error reporting service, because I found that every time I came back to AutoCAD windows was busy "checking for problems".

Not sure if it's solving the issue, but I'll try to remember to check back.

I know it's an old post, but clearly this issue hasn't gone away in the last year.
    seeing your statement reminded me about a trend that I picked up on. Windows 7 is way too eager to state that a program is not responding, when it is in fact doing what it is supposed to do. Every time I start AutoCAD I get the not responding notice, then a few seconds later it goes away on its own and everything is fine.