Thread: Question about transitioning to Revit?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Question about transitioning to Revit?

First I apologize if this is in the wrong section and if this type of thread has already been asked. Please move it accordingly.

I am currently working for an architectural firm that will be transitioning to Revit over the next few years. I have been their Cad system manager over the past 12+ years. I am trying to take the lead on getting myself up to speed and knowledgeable with Revit during this time. This includes training, using the software on and off the clock, and self training so I can teach and train the office when the time comes.

Since I am at the beginning of the process and remember what it was like sitting down in front on AutoCAD for the first time many years ago and thinking I can draw lines, circles and erase, how will I ever be able to draw buildings with this.

I wonder will my experience be similar on the software side? I know what the final product is supposed to look like so I do not have cross that hurdle.

Is knowledge of AutoCAD and Architecture (formerly ADT) a plus, minus, or neither when it comes to working with Revit?

And are there some common transition pains that I may experience?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question about transitioning to Revit?

In regard to your first question, knowledge of architecture is definitely a plus. Revit is designed to work the way designers wroka and model the way a building is put together. So in my experience the more you know about architecture and how buildings go togher the better off you are.

Knowledge of ACAD/ADT on the other hand, can be a definite minus if you are too set in that way of thinking. Revit is an entirely different system (which is what makes it a successful BIM system). If you try to learn Revit by thinking "How would I do this in ACAD" you will kill yourself in a week (ok, hopefully not, but you won't get very far). If you think "How would I build this?" and then look for the tool that does that you will have a much better time.

Hope that helps. Biggest piece of advice is to keep active on these forums, this is where I learned most of what I know...

Login to Give a bone

I think you may run into some people feeling like the graphic portion of Revit does not meet the expectations of those who primarily have used AutoCAD. For example, our office specializes in high-end, custom residential design. And, we have a flair for fanciful drafting. The biggest hurdle for us has been accepting that Revit and AutoCAD produce different looking projects. Reaching for the high bar of our AutoCAD/ Drawing standards, while trying to learn new software, maintain frenetic, cross-bred design processes and understand Revit, have led to disappointment and frustrations.

So I would recommend investigating enough time on developing templates and standards that can prevent that type of a disconnect amoung people.

Also, train outside the office environment; select a project and a team to use for implementation and focus on getting those people trained first. If possible, get follow up training (or shadow training) while working on that pre-determined project. Anticipate that it may actually take longer to complete that project- due to learning new tools, running into unforeseen problems outside of the program which will affect the project, frustration with simple things that may seem counterintuitive (i.g. wall joins sometimes cause grief for people, but often can be resolved with a double-click action).

The program is great. I have a difficult time contemplating sticking to ACAD. I could live without it at this point, except the office, the profession is so entrenched in it....It's best to have an open mind to change of work process and innovation (related to BIM). Good Luck.

Now if only I could find some support on convincing my team to not quit using Revit due to all their frustrations......

Login to Give a bone

Hope this helps........someone

Acad and Revit are different "birds and bees part here"
    You need a Augi vulcan mind meld with Steve Stafford and Begee

STEP 1
    1. Get training from somewhere to start (firm to pay)
    2. Do the Revit help tutorials.............all of it in tandum with a small project.
    3. Print off the entire 1200 pages of the user guide (in two manuals double sided)

4. You prove it on a project then with consensus from your Practice begin,

STEP 2 - Internal BIM
    5. Initiate Practice template and office standards manual
    6. Set up inhouse 101 staff training/tutoring
    7. Review your take home pay
    8. Initiate transition of acad details into Revit for staff use on projects.
    9. Consider partnering with other practices for buyin to offset costs for setup over 1 year+.
    10. Contribute findings on Augi for other Revit user to learn from

STEP 3 - External BIM
    11. Client, Council, Consultants, Contractors, Componant manufacturing.......

After 16 years on Autocad, I too transitioned to Revit BIM 6 years ago. I never ever look back

Kind regards
    Steve
    AOTC Manager
    Revit Lecturer/Designer
    RUGNZ.co.nz - founding committee member

Login to Give a bone

Stephen - those are some interesting questions. It looks like people are a little burnt out on this topic. If you do a little searching on the forums, you will find many useful threads on this subject (you might start with a keyword like "transitioning"). Good luck!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by StephenJ View Post

I wonder will my experience be similar on the software side? I know what the final product is supposed to look like so I do not have cross that hurdle.

Is knowledge of AutoCAD and Architecture (formerly ADT) a plus, minus, or neither when it comes to working with Revit?

And are there some common transition pains that I may experience?

Thanks for any advice and help.
    Stephen,

I've been training users on Revit for just about 2 years now for an Autodesk reseller. In that time I've trained over 200 individuals on Revit and the numbers are greatly growing each month. I've found ADT/ACA users actually pick up using Revit faster than users of most other programs. The reason is that as an ADT user you are used to concepts of 3D, that walls are walls, and that certain objects can be scheduled due to their properties and where those properties can traditionally be modified. In the end, Revit is a lot like AutoCAD Architecture. In terms of the architectural features you'll quickly realize that Revit is just smoother in most regards. I'm not going to tell you these things make Revit more powerful, simply it's easier, more intuitive, and simply works better for most projects once you get used to using it. BUT the vast majority of its features are also in AutoCAD Architecture (just in different forms) so the concepts are very familiar. Now in terms of drafting, Revit is also good. I tend to tell new Revit users that Revit's drafting reminds me of AutoCAD v. 10-12 which I used as well. Those programs were VERY GOOD at drafting and could still be productive today, they are simply not quite as refined as the AutoCAD we see today.

In terms of the learning curve... there will be days where you love Revit and days where you hate it. But as time goes on you will most likely grow to really appreciate it and like it more than AutoCAD or AutoCAD Architecture... and this comes from an individual that used AutoCAD since 1989 and ACA/ADT since release 2 of that package. Ultimately, I would NEVER go back to simply doing jobs in ACA if Revit was an option for 99.9% of all projects.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Login to Give a bone

Now that's an interesting comment. I'm curious why you think that? What do you think is missing or needs to be improved in order for Revit to equal AutoCAD?

I've used AutoCAD since R12, and was quite the AutoCAD "guru" in my day, and it sure beat hand drafting, but I'd take detailing in Revit over AutoCAD any day of the week.

The spline tool in AutoCAD is way better than in Revit. The fillet/chamfer tools are also better in AutoCAD (though of course I like Revit's editing of them once they're in place). There are some very frustrating things about using arcs and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting at the moment. I think you could also argue that Revit has done very little to advance architectural drafting. But despite all that, I'd argue that Revit's parametric detail library, notes and dimensions, filled regions, etc. overcomes those deficiencies to put it ahead of AutoCAD.

(p.s. I know you're not bashing on Revit - I'm just genuinely curious what you think)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    Now in terms of drafting, Revit is also good. I tend to tell new Revit users that Revit's drafting reminds me of AutoCAD v. 10-12 which I used as well. Those programs were VERY GOOD at drafting and could still be productive today, they are simply not quite as refined as the AutoCAD we see today.