Thread: Flat Fascia on Sloped Roof

Login to Give a bone

Default Flat Fascia on Sloped Roof

I wish there was an option in roof fascia families to either follow the host or stay level. It's no fun to change a bunch of roofs to 1/4" slope/foot and having all the fascias not being level any more. Is creating level model lines and re-hosting the fascias to them the only option?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Flat Fascia on Sloped Roof

There's two options: (although none of them is the ideal solution)

1) Use an in-place family:
    - Create a Solid - Sweep
    - Sketch the 2D path and lock to the roof edges
    - Sketch your profile and finish the family

2) Using two roofs: The original one and another one flat (hosting the fascia). You can copy and paste your roof into another workset (that will be set as hidden by default). Change the slopes to be flat and add the fascia to it. Select the fascia and change its workset to be the one from the original roof and turn off the workset containing the temporary roof. If not working with worksets, you can use filters.

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Andre, the solid sweep is a decent work-around. We'll have to make sure to use that technique from now on if we slope the structure on a "flat-roofed" building, which is actually most of the time. Still the roof fascia object should have the option to keep it level. I guess it still shows that Revit was originally designed by residential architects.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rganter.97143 View Post
    I guess it still shows that Revit was originally designed by residential architects.
    say what? It seems to me that the tools in Revit are MUCH more geared toward commercial architecture. I've heard plenty of people on these forums who do residential work that say Revit is more difficult to use for residential work than it is for commercial.

But I digress...

What fascias are you having problems with, the ones along the eave (flat) roof edges, or the ones along the raked (sloped) roof edges? If your roof is set to plumb-cut, does that not make your fascia stay vertically oriented? Also, there is a rotation angle parameter that can be adjusted if needed.

Login to Give a bone

About the residential - vs commercial: It just seemed the OOTB Revit content - Doors, Windows fro example- were/are much more geared towards residential than commercial. That's not to say that the program itself is limited or geared towards a certain kind of architecture.

Anyway, my problem is not with the vertical face angle of the fascia, but with the fascia alway following the raked edges of the roof. We do a lot of flat-roofed buildings, but the fact is that "flat roofs" are almost never built flat, but with a 1/4"/foot slope. But in most cases you want the fascias on the roof overhangs to stay flat.

For example, right now I'm working on a whole bunch of canopies that have flat fascias, but in reality they all have a sloped bar joist structure with sloping metal-deck roofs.

Login to Give a bone

The original program was designed to be used for residential architecture prior to autodesk purchasing it. The way the railing tool works is an example of how it still has some of those roots still intact.