Thread: Graphical Column Schedule - Column Location Marks

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Graphical Column Schedule - Column Location Marks

Hello:

Browsing the threads, I've noticed that the Graphical Column Schedule has posed some challenges to many of you.

I was wondering if any of you have noticed the following problem occur:

In the 'Column Locations' row some of the columns that are located on grid intersections are being displayed as if they were off-grid columns, in the format 'B-4(32'-0")' indicating that the column is on grid B and 32'-0" north of grid 4. In this particular instance the column is at the intersection B-3. The grid spacing on the project is 32'-0" in both directions, so the location mark it gives is technically correct, but misleading.

In other instances there are columns which were created off grid that I have since added intermediate grids to account for them in the graphical column schedule (B.4 for instance). The location mark for these still shows the off-grid offset distances instead of the B.4-1.8 format which I would prefer.

I am currently using Revit Structure 2009, but the model I am refering to was created in Revit 2008. Some instances of off-grid columns were previously handled by adding intermediate grids. This solved the problem in RS2008. Since the off-grid columns toggle has been added in RS2009, I have begun to see the issues described above.

I have checked to ensure that all said columns are set to 'moves with grid' and that all of the columns are actually on grid. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robin Best

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Graphical Column Schedule - Column Location Marks

Would you post your model?

One solution which I find often helps is to cut the elements, and then paste-aligned-same-place.

Login to Give a bone

I had the same thing happen to me and what i found to be the problem was that the grid that it should have been reading. The grids 3D extents were not past where the column was, only the 2D extents were passing by the column. So basically the column needs to be within the 3D extents of the intersecting grids. Steve's method worked as well on most of my cases.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Graphical Column Schedule - Column Location Marks

Quote Originally Posted by ncallison View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me and what i found to be the problem was that the grid that it should have been reading. The grids 3D extents were not past where the column was, only the 2D extents were passing by the column. So basically the column needs to be within the 3D extents of the intersecting grids. Steve's method worked as well on most of my cases.
    We are having the same problem. Some columns are reported as being off grid by the exact dimension to the grid that they are really on. Sometimes deleting the column and inserting a new one takes care of the problem, sometimes not. We are working on a 17 story building and if we delete a column at the uppermost leveI, the lower columns often are then reported as being off grid. I am confused. What do you mean by the 3D extents of the column grids?

Login to Give a bone

Still having the same/similar problems in RS 2010. Column on new grids but reporting to grids a few feet away.

Deleting the grid an putting a new one in seemed to fix it, but upon renaming the grid to the former value that was deleted, the column schedule did not update with the new grid name.

Any suggestions of other things to try?

Login to Give a bone

In the element properties, have you tried changing the grid location to the grid that you want it to be on? Just a thought.

Login to Give a bone

This was greyed out when we were struggling with it, with us using RS2010x64. Even in the element properties.
    Turns out deleting the grid line and re-inserting one did the trick. Revit had to be rebooted for it to show up correctly though.

In fact Revit was giving incorrect references. At least with the auto generated non-desireable-referenced column lines,Ab(-6), it was not what we want to see, but it was correct.

After we deleted the original non refrerenced B1 grid line,(the one we wanted the column to reference, and the one the column was on), and reinserted a column line it got automatically named say, H6. However, when we renamed it to what we wanted say, B1, the grid reference did not update. But the reboot cured this problem, and the column line referred to the correct B1 reference, which is what we wanted.