Thread: Dynamic Block Pull attributes from excel

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Block Pull attributes from excel

What I would like to know if it is possible to do is to have a block that is just a circle that represents a tree/plant but has hidden attributes and if the user selects the name of the plant from a list values in an excel file related to the name can be set to other attributes

example you insert the block and pick Bigtree as the name value which corresponds to a row in excel which has size cost and description and all this gets attached to corresponding attributes associated with the circle.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block Pull attributes from excel

Quote Originally Posted by dprosser View Post
    What I would like to know if it is possible to do is to have a block that is just a circle that represents a tree/plant but has hidden attributes and if the user selects the name of the plant from a list values in an excel file related to the name can be set to other attributes

example you insert the block and pick Bigtree as the name value which corresponds to a row in excel which has size cost and description and all this gets attached to corresponding attributes associated with the circle.

Thanks
    I also want to know how to accomplish this. Any help is much appreciated.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block Pull attributes from excel

Depending on the functionality, you may be able to do what you need with attributes (or user parameters) and a block properties table.

Make an attribute for each column of the table. Make a block table and add these attributes to the table in the same order as the excel table. Open the excel table and copy & paste its table values into the block properties table. (note, the excel cells may need to be formatted as text) The left most column in the block table will be the one used for making the selection. Reorder the columns if needed.

Bonus: If a value in the left column repeats, the selection menu for the inserted block will branch out to the next column in order to make a unique row selection.