See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Invalid Local File Warning

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Invalid Local File Warning

We have a central file that contains other central file Revit links. Upon saving to central we receive a warning specific to one of the linked files stating:
    "Linked file (filename here) can not be saved because it has changes in more than just shared coordinates and therefore can invalidate Local Files owned by you".
    This error shows up whenever a save to central is attempted. The current central file appears to be saving without issues but its annoying that we have to click the ok button on this warning every time. Has anyone else run accross this or can you give me some insight as to what it means?

This has shown up on a few projects in the past as well.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Invalid Local File Warning

Open the linked file and save it. Then reload it into Revit (using File > Manage Links) and it should work.

This message looks scary but it is harmless and won't do anything to your local or central files. I'm trying to find an e-mail we've got from Autodesk saying that this message is related to linking DWG's to the central file A, then linking that central file A to your central file B. I can't remember but it says something about changes made on the linked DWG's can make Revit think that these are changes made on the central file... If I find it, I'll post it.

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for this info, it helps alot, anybody experiencing difficulty in joining of beams, where you cannot get the exact lineworks in the plan view, what I am doing is just use the linework tool, is what I am doing is the right way?

Thanks.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Take a look at this Blog Post by Dwayne Lindsey. Autodesk finally pinned down the error causing it. The first person I heard nail this was John Vogt with HOK in St. Louis. He was spot on and I read Dwayne's post a week or two later...

It comes down to THIS:

If a linked RVT file contains a linked DWG (or other "CAD format") file, and the DWG file has changed on disk since the last time the linked RVT file was saved, then when the linked RVT file is loaded (as a link) the DWG file is reloaded which Revit interprets as a modification.

One way to avoid this entirely is to never import cad files into Revit . Okay now that you've stopped laughing. Seriously, you could choose not to link certain files which means that Revit doesn't try to reload them when the project is loaded etc. Easier said than done I suppose. Better if Autodesk just traps the error and doesn't bother us?

Edit: Are you using build 20080602_1900 (found under Help menu > Product License and Information) In some testing tonight I was not able to recreate the error with this build.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2008-09-04 at 06:58 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Take a look at this Blog Post by Dwayne Lindsey. Autodesk finally pinned down the error causing it. The first person I heard nail this was John Vogt with HOK in St. Louis. He was spot on and I read Dwayne's post a week or two later...

It comes down to THIS:

If a linked RVT file contains a linked DWG (or other "CAD format") file, and the DWG file has changed on disk since the last time the linked RVT file was saved, then when the linked RVT file is loaded (as a link) the DWG file is reloaded which Revit interprets as a modification.

One way to avoid this entirely is to never import cad files into Revit . Okay now that you've stopped laughing. Seriously, you could choose not to link certain files which means that Revit doesn't try to reload them when the project is loaded etc. Easier said than done I suppose. Better if Autodesk just traps the error and doesn't bother us?

Edit: Are you using build 20080602_1900 (found under Help menu > Product License and Information) In some testing tonight I was not able to recreate the error with this build.
    The way I found it works nice, is avoiding to link the DWG that someone is still working. Instead of that, I first create a blank CAD file, XREF the DWG that someone is working and save in another folder. This new DWG will be the file I will bring into Revit. Because it has an XREF from the original file, I still can see the changes made in it when I open Revit, but because no one is actually opening it, working on it or saving the DWG I've created, I never get that message anymore...

Andre Carvalho

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Invalid Local File Warning

Thanks for the resolution, I forgot about this thread....
    We just had to trick revit with an extra step of xrefing.