Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphic Accelerator Chip vs Graphics Card

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Graphic Accelerator Chip vs Graphics Card

Quote Originally Posted by paddymackey View Post
    Incediently, if your laptop has an expresscard port, as most new laptops do, you may be able to get a new graphics card that uses the express card port. Not an ideal situation but better than nothing.
    I haven't found any vid cards for the express slot. Didn't even know they would attempt it. The energy draw on that port is less than from a USB port. I don't think it'd be capable of even using it for a video port. Plus, seeing as how the laptop's monitor is plugged directly into the video device on the board, you can't reroute it to an express card.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Pei Jr View Post
    I haven't found any vid cards for the express slot. Didn't even know they would attempt it. The energy draw on that port is less than from a USB port. I don't think it'd be capable of even using it for a video port. Plus, seeing as how the laptop's monitor is plugged directly into the video device on the board, you can't reroute it to an express card.
    Didn't really explain it properly. Do a search for the Asus XG Station. It's an external box that plugs into the expresscard slot. You put a normal PCIe card into it and plug the monitor into this box. It's also powered externally. Whether its actually been released yet though, I don't know.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5602
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ces...tion,4679.html

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I just looked through those sites, and I think that would be SWEET! Now, I have to figure out if it's already out or was trashed.

***EDIT*** Apparently it was released on May 28, 2008, however... I have not been able to find where it can be purchased, or for how much. I'll do more research when I get home.
    Last edited by Harold Pei Jr; 2008-06-26 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added Info

Login to Give a bone

Updating this old thread... I finally got rid of the headache. I went back to my DellM70 w/ Vanilla 2008. I left the new one under my drafting table until the General Manager saw it. He told me if I din't start using it I'd have to give it back and he'd give it to someone who would appreiciate it. Took two seconds to pick it up and hand it to him.
    Our IT guy is still trying to tell me it would be better for CAD because the contrast ratio on the new HP is soooo high. He must think I watch movies all day.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by paddymackey View Post
    Try Audi, Ferrari and Maserati don't do any type of Quattro system, all their cars are rear-wheel drive.

A graphics accellerator chip is basically the same as whats onboard the addin graphics card. The main differences are that the graphics accellerator chip is integrated into the motherboard and isn't replaceable without replacing the whole motherboard.
    Other main differences for the accellerator chip
    - The 384MB of memory it uses is taken from the system memory, so you lose that much off the 2gig in the computer.
    - Its designed for nothing more than basic PC use, ie browsing the net, spreadsheets etc. They're unable to handle anything more complex.
    - They're cheap. cost of an integrated graphics chip will add probably 20-30 quid onto a motherboards cost, as opposed to the couple hundred for a proper graphics card, you get what you pay for.

Laptops just aren't designed to run as £d workstations. Did you request the laptop or was it given to you?

Incediently, if your laptop has an expresscard port, as most new laptops do, you may be able to get a new graphics card that uses the express card port. Not an ideal situation but better than nothing.
    Just to be sure I hit all the 6 month old topics on graphic boards...

If you have an integrated graphics chip...they can be disabled. Just get the wiring diagram from the manufacturer of the motherboard and remove the resistors that regulate power to the graphics chip. Little solder sucking and plug in the new card. Pretty simple.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dwescott View Post
    Just to be sure I hit all the 6 month old topics on graphic boards...

If you have an integrated graphics chip...they can be disabled. Just get the wiring diagram from the manufacturer of the motherboard and remove the resistors that regulate power to the graphics chip. Little solder sucking and plug in the new card. Pretty simple.
    Little bit simpler way is to go into the bios and turn it off. Its either a on/off switch or setting how much memory the integrated chip will use with setting it to 0mb turning it off.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Pei Jr View Post
    Kick your IT guy clear across the head to knock some sense into him. He's giving you the Intel integrated video chip, the x3100. It's good for low-res things, okay for slow games (fastest I've used on it was WoW, so not too taxing on any vid card) but horrible for 3D AutoCAD. I've tried running it in 3D, and even with all the boosted memory I gave my computer, it still tanked it.
    Get an add-on card, or take out the FX1400, it would do better IMO.
    Oh, and that 368 MB? That's the max it will use, not what it uses constantly. The constant memory it uses is 4 MB. Only if something is very taxing on it will it use anywhere close to that 368 MB.
    amen! kick him for me too! lol

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Intel graphics chips integral with the mobo are generally poor for cad IME.
    Very poor.

As are NVS280 Quadro Cards, one of which was in a PC given to me when I started this new job. (Quad core Xeon with an FX4600 on order).

I lasted until yesterday (2 weeks or so) and I brought in an old GeForce 6600LE that I used for testing PC's at home Works brilliant compared to the NVS card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12