Thread: Is there a way to add a Field Category or Field Name?

Login to Give a bone

Question Is there a way to add a Field Category or Field Name?

I want to be able to add a Field Name to the Field list. Is there a way to do that? I want to use a field in an attribute linked back to a sheet set. Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is there a way to add a Field Category or Field Name?

You can add a custom property in your sheet set and point your field to that property.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    You can add a custom property in your sheet set and point your field to that property.
    I've tried that.. but then I would have to manually setup custom properties for each title block everytime I start a new drawing. I want it to already be in the FIelds Category/ Field Name, so that everytime I start a new title block with my attributes linking to the specific field, it will just automaticly update that field with that Field Category/Field Name value. thanks. any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

You can't do what you are specifically wanting to do.

But like Opie said, you can add custom fields to your sheet set that stay in your DWT and DST. Take a look at the attached picture to see how to add custom fields to your DST file. Notice that these custom fields can apply to either the Sheet (field name: CurrentSheetCustom) or the Sheet Set (field name: CurrentSheetSetCustom).

Open your DST file that you use to create new sheet sets. I have a standard DST saved to use as an "example sheet set" to start with every time. This way our custom fields are available on every new project.

When you add a custom field to your template, open the DWT and make sure you have your standard (Example Sheet Set) DST file open at the same time. When you add a field (example command: FIELD) to the drawing select CurrentSheetCustom or CurrentSheetSetCustom and then select one of your custom fields in the drop-down menu that appears at the bottom of the Field dialog box.

Make sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joshua.jones View Post
    You can't do what you are specifically wanting to do.

But like Opie said, you can add custom fields to your sheet set that stay in your DWT and DST. Take a look at the attached picture to see how to add custom fields to your DST file. Notice that these custom fields can apply to either the Sheet (field name: CurrentSheetCustom) or the Sheet Set (field name: CurrentSheetSetCustom).

Open your DST file that you use to create new sheet sets. I have a standard DST saved to use as an "example sheet set" to start with every time. This way our custom fields are available on every new project.

When you add a custom field to your template, open the DWT and make sure you have your standard (Example Sheet Set) DST file open at the same time. When you add a field (example command: FIELD) to the drawing select CurrentSheetCustom or CurrentSheetSetCustom and then select one of your custom fields in the drop-down menu that appears at the bottom of the Field dialog box.

Make sense?
    Ok I understand you can create "custom properties" in the sheet set, but then I would have to manually update that field everytime I create a new drawing correct? Even if I have all the custom fields created like you have... that field in my title block will still have to be redirected to the sheetset custom property in my drawing correct?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by abuv_all View Post
    Ok I understand you can create "custom properties" in the sheet set, but then I would have to manually update that field everytime I create a new drawing correct? Even if I have all the custom fields created like you have... that field in my title block will still have to be redirected to the sheetset custom property in my drawing correct?
    You don't have to redirect the fields if you have a standard DWT and DST setup for all your projects.

First of all, do you have a DWT containing a titleblock with all your standard fields, including custom fields? This is an important first step. Make sure you have your templates settings in OPTIONS set to the correct DWT for your sheet sets. If you haven't done this, I can write steps to create a DWT through Sheet Set Manager.

I usually save the DST with the DWT somewhere on the network so that I can easily access them.

Whenever you start a new project, choose an "example" sheet set to start with. (See attached pictures.) This would be the standard DWT that contains all your custom fields. When you use the wizard to create a new sheet set with an example sheet set, it copies your standard DST to a location you specify in the wizard. This way you don't have to redirect all your fields.

Does this make sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joshua.jones View Post
    You don't have to redirect the fields if you have a standard DWT and DST setup for all your projects.

First of all, do you have a DWT containing a titleblock with all your standard fields, including custom fields? This is an important first step. Make sure you have your templates settings in OPTIONS set to the correct DWT for your sheet sets. If you haven't done this, I can write steps to create a DWT through Sheet Set Manager.

I usually save the DST with the DWT somewhere on the network so that I can easily access them.

Whenever you start a new project, choose an "example" sheet set to start with. (See attached pictures.) This would be the standard DWT that contains all your custom fields. When you use the wizard to create a new sheet set with an example sheet set, it copies your standard DST to a location you specify in the wizard. This way you don't have to redirect all your fields.

Does this make sense?
    Ok I think I know what you mean now. That'll work perfectly thank you very much...now is there a way to have the Fields show up correctly without having to double click them. They show up all wacked out of place, but when you do a print preview its aligned correctly. Also when you double click them they go to the correct alignment. Is that just a bug that AutoCAD has not fixed or is there a fix for that? Thanks again

Tony

Login to Give a bone

It sounds like a bug. I get the same thing. The only thing I care about is how it looks printed.

You're welcome Tony.