Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relinquishing issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Relinquishing issues

We have been having issues with our users getting the error stating that, "You don't have permission to edit the element until User2 saves to central and relinquishes." This error will occur on User1 machine even though User2 did not even touch the element in question. I had an issue today where User1 tried to modify an element, but an error occurred stating that User2 had control. User2 saved to central, relinquished, and closed the project. Revit then allowed User1 to modify the element, but then User2 reopened the central, saved as a local, saved to central, but then Revit stated User1 had control of the elements once again. We have had many problems with this lately, where it'll say UserX has control, even though UserX has not touched the project. I have looked through the forums and came across the user name issue, but we are a firm that does not share workstations. The user name that appears is the same that will appear on every project, we do not modify user names. We then get into a circular chain of trying to STC and relinquish, but then it gets to a point where nobody can open their local file or even the central file. We then have to revert to a backup file off the network, which usually equates to lost work.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Relinquishing issues

Do you make worksets?

Login to Give a bone

We are working on Revit MEP 2009 andI have had this happen twice now as well. Same situation. I took the journals and was forwarding them to Autodesk. I have no clue why this happened but both users locked each other out even after the religinshed and saved to central.

Here is another twist. One person was working on worksets for power while the other was working in an HVAC wokset. So they were not even working on the same elements.

Login to Give a bone

No we haven't been using worksets, but that seems like it might be the next step. However if rduffy is stating he had these same problems, then we may not. It seems as if rduffy and I are having the exact same problem. If anybody has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

What are the users doing prior to this happening? Are they changing visibility graphics about the linked arch model?
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

No, the users are not changing any visibility settings in the linked architecture model. We are working strictly with the MEP components. However we have adjusted visibility settings in the linked architectural model prior to this error, but that was quite a long time before we had any of these problems. Just a note, this project was converted from Revit 2008 to Revit 2009. We are hopefully going to install the Web Update later today. I will post if anything is resolved from the update. One thing I was just informed of is, the architects are implementing floor plan changes by exporting the Revit model to AutoCAD, making adjustments in AutoCAD, then importing the AutoCAD drawings back into the Revit model, and tracing over the AutoCAD drawings in Revit. Now please don't ask me why they are doing it this way, because I honestly don't know. Quite frankly it seems backwards to me, but what do I know, I'm just a dumb engineer. Ha-ha. I'm starting to wonder if the errors we are encountering are stemming from the linked architectural model.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rduffy View Post
    Here is another twist. One person was working on worksets for power while the other was working in an HVAC wokset. So they were not even working on the same elements.
    Did both of these persons work of a LOCAL file or are they both working of the CENTRAL?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bmann1982 View Post
    No we haven't been using worksets, but that seems like it might be the next step. However if rduffy is stating he had these same problems, then we may not. It seems as if rduffy and I are having the exact same problem. If anybody has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
    if there is no active worksets how can you SAVE TO CENTRAL if the program does not allow it untill worksets are created.

How are you setting up your projects?

Login to Give a bone

I apologize. I should have stated that we are not creating any "new" worksets, we are just utilizing the default worksets. When we create our projects, we do not assign particular elements to a particular workset. We adjust the visibilty settings in our views to reflect which discipline we are working on (i.e Lighting, Power, etc...).

Login to Give a bone

PM sent to bmann1982 ask for "Jerry"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast