Thread: Parametric Pipe Connector

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Pipe Connector

When using the Content Builder to make a parametric air handling unit (this could also possibly apply to making a block-based mvpart, I'm not sure), I've created the round extrusions to add pipe connectors to. I added a diameter dimension to the base circle profile to control the size (comes up as BdyD1) which works fine. When I add a connection to the extrusion (right-click Connections>Add Connection...), BdyD1 changes to just D1 (or whatever number the connection is), and D1 (thankfully) still shows up in the Model Parameters so I can edit it if I need to.

However, when I change the Connection's Type to Pipe, an additional parameter is added to the Size Parameters named ND1 (Nominal Diameter perhaps?), and as fate would have it, the ND# parameter is the one that actually drives the size of the pipe connection. That is, even though D1 controls the diameter/appearance of the extrusion in the Content Builder and is set to an appropriate 1", when I add the part to a drawing, the diameter is controlled by ND1, which for some reason is set at a default of 10".

Unfortunately, ND1 does not show up in the Model Parameters dialog, so therefore I can't use an equation to drive its size, and am forced to manually edit its value through the Size Parameters>Values dialog (since Size Parameters>Calculations just tells me I need to use Model Parameters to edit calculations).

This also happened to me when creating another parametric MvPart (haven't gotten around to, and don't see the value in creating block-based parts). Does anyone happen to know how to have the connection diameter driven by D1 and not ND1? or perhaps how to get ND1 to show up in the Model Parameters? or maybe even how to add an equation to ND1's value?

Sorry for all the parametric parts questions as of late, but if anyone can give me a hand (or just let me know you're having the same problem) it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brad

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Pipe Connector

Found (somewhat of) an answer to my question by reading the Content Builder Tutorial of all things:

In the Size Parameters>Configuration dialog, if you change the Data Storage parameter for ND# to Calculation (I was using Table before), then it will actually let you edit the calculation in the Size Parameters>Calculations dialog (imagine that!). So I simply set ND# to reflect the value of D#, which saved me from having to enter the same values twice.

Cheers!
    Brad