Thread: Can't Get Journal to fix crash/test crash

Login to Give a bone

Default Can't Get Journal to fix crash/test crash

I lost quite a few hours work a couple of days ago. Although i have now caught back up i have been trying to run a test on Journal files.

I have searched a few forums on how to do this and i'm following all of the steps stated on various post. Which all have slight differences.

Some say don't delete any of the text in the journal, some say delete bits etc.

Could anyone please help me in how to get my journal to re create my model?

I have been creating a new simple project to test how it works to pass the knowledge onto my peers should they ever lose work like i did.

This is how i did it. I saved a blank project that only contained the template our office uses. i closed down this session of Revit and re opened revit and the project to create a new session. I did some simple work such as walls, roof, doors etc and closed the project down without saving.

I went and got the journal and dragged it over the Revit Shortcut. Once it had opened it loaded the template and then a message appears saying 'The journal file could not be run to completion. Utilize care in saving any work as the project may be in an unstable state.'

With a box below saying 'enter interactive mode.'

Could someone point out what i'm doing wrong and how i can overcome this?

Any help is appreciated.

Alex

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't Get Journal to fix crash/test crash

It's strange that happened to you when doing a simple test...

Is there something not straightforward with the location of the template file? i.e. is it on a letter drive, do access it through a server name? Did you delete anything from the journal before running it?

you always start running the journal without deleting something...if it works great...it's only when it stops too early that you will have to either A. restore all the files used from the beginning of first running revit (easier to accomplish...almost impossible when worksharing enabled) B. delete part of the journal that you won't be able to recreate (more sensitive)

It's really hard to say why your simple test didn't work...by any chance....you mention that you opened a project which is a template, but you didn't open a template? You don't by any chance have a project using worksharing as a template? When dealing with worksharing, the journal is much more sensitive.

Are you able to video capture your steps? or just screen capture a few of your steps?

Quote Originally Posted by alex.hulston View Post
    I lost quite a few hours work a couple of days ago. Although i have now caught back up i have been trying to run a test on Journal files.

I have searched a few forums on how to do this and i'm following all of the steps stated on various post. Which all have slight differences.

Some say don't delete any of the text in the journal, some say delete bits etc.

Could anyone please help me in how to get my journal to re create my model?

I have been creating a new simple project to test how it works to pass the knowledge onto my peers should they ever lose work like i did.

This is how i did it. I saved a blank project that only contained the template our office uses. i closed down this session of Revit and re opened revit and the project to create a new session. I did some simple work such as walls, roof, doors etc and closed the project down without saving.

I went and got the journal and dragged it over the Revit Shortcut. Once it had opened it loaded the template and then a message appears saying 'The journal file could not be run to completion. Utilize care in saving any work as the project may be in an unstable state.'

With a box below saying 'enter interactive mode.'

Could someone point out what i'm doing wrong and how i can overcome this?

Any help is appreciated.

Alex

Login to Give a bone

Luigi,

Thanks for getitng back to me.

I have simply followed the steps given from various websites and tried a few different ways.

I had considered that the template file could be what causes the problem. The template is one created for use by all members of staff and has much simpler doors, wall etc that the original Revit template. We find it helps with earlier design.

Worksets are not enabled within the template and is a user option as originally. The test i ran had no worksharing enabled either.

I'm finding it puzzeling too as I think it sounds pretty straight forward. Although it never seems to begin, let alone stop early!

I don't think i can run a video capture of my steps but i may be able to do some screen shots. Although i haven't the time right now to keep trying this, as i no longer need it, but it seems like my colleague has just found the need to use it, and similarly it's not working for him either.

Any further help would be appreciated in the meantime, and i'll try to get some screen shots up when i have some spare time.

Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

No problem,....it sounds like something strange, especially since the steps you mentioned are really simple and straight forward...

We too have a very basic template, with simple, placeholder, content that is good for all phases of each project...so I understand!

Hopefully you can figure it out...it comes handy at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.hulston View Post
    Luigi,

Thanks for getitng back to me.

I have simply followed the steps given from various websites and tried a few different ways.

I had considered that the template file could be what causes the problem. The template is one created for use by all members of staff and has much simpler doors, wall etc that the original Revit template. We find it helps with earlier design.

Worksets are not enabled within the template and is a user option as originally. The test i ran had no worksharing enabled either.

I'm finding it puzzeling too as I think it sounds pretty straight forward. Although it never seems to begin, let alone stop early!

I don't think i can run a video capture of my steps but i may be able to do some screen shots. Although i haven't the time right now to keep trying this, as i no longer need it, but it seems like my colleague has just found the need to use it, and similarly it's not working for him either.

Any further help would be appreciated in the meantime, and i'll try to get some screen shots up when i have some spare time.

Thanks,