We're new to Revit. We've just switched over. We've done our training and we have the trainer on speed dial. We're trying to implement on a real project, and I'm at my wit's end trying to find decent window blocks. None of them are parametric or easy to change.

We do primarily custom homes and we rarely use the window manufacturer's standard sizes.

I've found the requisite window families on Autodesk's content search. Primarily Andersen and Pella. Right now, until I understand families and parameters better, I need a decent window family to use in a project. The preset sizes are nearly impossible to use and find based on the gobbldy-gook file names made up of manufactuer's product numbers.

Here's how we use windows. You will have to excuse the thought process being related to "drafting" in AutoCAD, but that's what I know.

We always draw windows to round number widths. 5'-0", 6'-0", 2'-0" etc. We never know which window supplier is going to get the job, so there's no point in trying to accomodate any manufactuerer's fractional sizes.

Our designs are developed in plan first then in elevation and the elevations are usually developed with a great deal of thought to the sections. If I'm developing the elevations, I'll draw the sections rough.

I need to be able to choose a window family by the look: number of panes, muntins, no muntins, transom lite, etc. Then specify my width in plan and then later specify height.

I think my ideal window family is parametric and uses any old window profile.

I probably need several families. One pane, two pane, three pane, arch top, ....

Basically, my question is, Why don't window families work the way curtain wall does in Revit?

Can anyone help me find a family that's worth using for the way we work.

Eventually I'd like to make window families where the profile is constrained to the face of exterior cladding and the jamb extension in the profile gets longer or shorter and is constrained to the interior face of finish. I don't yet know how to make a profile that behaves this way. I can get a profile into the window family template, but that's about it.

Help. Please.