Thread: Precast Concrete Sandwich Panels

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Precast Concrete Sandwich Panels

I have been an AutoCAD user for many years, and Revit is not new to me but is not the software I use frequently. If I do use it, it is more for Exterior Renderings. My question is - can you do precast concrete SANDWICH panels without a third-party add-on? Our precast panel supplier pours 10" total thick with 3" top, 4" insulation middle, 3" bottom panels.

I found some old online articles which claim that Revit does NOT support these panel types - just solid concrete. If that is the case is there anyone out there that makes a sandwich panel wall work with the precast tool?

Thanking you in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Precast Concrete Sandwich Panels

Revit doesn't natively support precast concrete sandwich panels, but there are third-party add-ons that can extend its capabilities for precast design and detailing, including the creation of sandwich panels. Popular add-ons for precast concrete in Revit include AGACAD's Precast Concrete and StruSoft's VIPcore.

Login to Give a bone

I think it depends on what you are wanting to do. I'm not familiar with the Precast tab tools, but architecturally they can be modeled in various ways. Here are a couple.

1) Build the wall type with layers and use reveals (I'm partial to Generic Model void families for these) to show the joints. This is what we did on our most recent project with precast panel walls.
    2) Use the wall type created above, but put it into a Curtain Wall family where the panels are the wall type and mullions are the joints. This is what I plan to use on our next project with precast panel walls.

If you're looking to go deeper into shop drawings, then those might not be the approach you want.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    .......2) Use the wall type created above, but put it into a Curtain Wall family where the panels are the wall type and mullions are the joints. This is what I plan to use on our next project with precast panel walls.

If you're looking to go deeper into shop drawings, then those might not be the approach you want.
    I read about the curtain wall way and you expanded on the idea with the mullions being the joints.
    shop drawings are a way we are hoping to accomplish and yes maybe we have to look at third-party.