Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-Tension Cable Idea for Revit! (wish)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Post-Tension Cable Idea for Revit! (wish)

One of the major missing components in Revit Structure is Post-Tension (PT) Cables. I imagine if this was added to Revit it would work somewhat like this:

1. In the plan view, the user picks the slab that the PT bundle will be located within.
    2. In the Options Bar the user will pick either Banded or Distributed.
    3. Revit will enter Edit mode, and the user will sketch in the tendon using the line tools, or imported geometry.
    4. By default the tendon will be centered in the slab, but there will be an option called Pick Points (or similar) that allows the user to pick points along the sketched line.
    5. When the points have been picked, the user will select Modify.
    6. The user will pick each point, and will specify that point's height in the slab, for example: the tendon is in an 8" concrete slab and the user modifies the point to read 7". The tendon will now run through the slab at 7" from the bottom of the slab.
    7. The user continues to pick each point to specify the height of the tendon within the slab until all points have been specified.
    8. The user will now select Finish Sketch.
    9. The completed tendon will have a direction associated with it, with an arrow at the head, and a tail symbol of some kind at the tail. Just as with walls, etc. the user will be able to flip the direction of the tendon using the change direction arrows.
    10. There will be a tension value tag associated with the head of the tendon. This value will be filled by the user.
    11. This would also work in concrete beams as well.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if it needs further clarification. A tool like this would take us one step more out of AutoCAD and fully into Revit!

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Post-Tension Cable Idea for Revit! (wish)

Bump.

No one? Am I totally off base?

Português - Revit Moderator fernando's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

With some imagination, couldn´t be done with a Beam Sistem, using a special bean?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You could produce post tensioning in Revit with a bit of work. But I would hate to see the performance of a model with every tendon modelled. Ideally it would be great to a have a fully coordinated model with GA's, 3D rebar, 3D PT, MEP etc etc

This has been discussed before, and the conclusion then was the Revit just doesn't like complex curved elements (which PT certainly is) and when you are talking about complex curved elements every 1500mm (which is what some PT'd flat slabs have) then you would have one slow model.

Put your suggestion to the 2010 wishlist, but they will only develop what the mass industry wants which is at the moment a application that produces GA's and slowly towards a Steelwork & Rebar package, but even then not shop detail level drawings

Another question, are you already modelling your rebar in full 3D? There has been a big improvement in 2009 but I would say Adesk would be best to fine tune the rebar which is required on most projects compared to the small amount of PT projects when it is even documented by structural design consultants at all

Sorry to sound negative but there certainly are other priorities for the development team

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tvanryn View Post
    One of the major missing components in Revit Structure is Post-Tension (PT) Cables. I imagine if this was added to Revit it would work somewhat like this:

1. In the plan view, the user picks the slab that the PT bundle will be located within.
    2. In the Options Bar the user will pick either Banded or Distributed.
    3. Revit will enter Edit mode, and the user will sketch in the tendon using the line tools, or imported geometry.
    4. By default the tendon will be centered in the slab, but there will be an option called Pick Points (or similar) that allows the user to pick points along the sketched line.
    5. When the points have been picked, the user will select Modify.
    6. The user will pick each point, and will specify that point's height in the slab, for example: the tendon is in an 8" concrete slab and the user modifies the point to read 7". The tendon will now run through the slab at 7" from the bottom of the slab.
    7. The user continues to pick each point to specify the height of the tendon within the slab until all points have been specified.
    8. The user will now select Finish Sketch.
    9. The completed tendon will have a direction associated with it, with an arrow at the head, and a tail symbol of some kind at the tail. Just as with walls, etc. the user will be able to flip the direction of the tendon using the change direction arrows.
    10. There will be a tension value tag associated with the head of the tendon. This value will be filled by the user.
    11. This would also work in concrete beams as well.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if it needs further clarification. A tool like this would take us one step more out of AutoCAD and fully into Revit!

Tom
    I agree that revit should have some sort of basic tool for PT, however this would create some problems with performance. The method you pointed out seems spot on to me, of course there are various elements that would need the ability to be customized such as a head and tail representation and the ability to use pans.

We have setup 2d PT families that work well, though at this stage i honestly can't see the benefit of populating a model with such extensive data unless a link between the engineers model and revit was created.

Interesting topic.

Regards,
    Brock

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I think 2D Families are fine, however I would like the system to generate a table of chair heights based on the high's and low's chosen, even if it is only viewable in plan I think this would work easily as most people just have various routines in ACAD for doing this anyway. So therefore building a simple object like Path/Area Reinforcement maybe, or a Rebar option where you can specify if you want to geometry in 3 dimensions.

I think 2D families with various Anchor options and chair height abilities would be much easier then the detail components currently being used.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies. I am working in a very small office, and so far we have been avoiding PT in our Revit files because we have not been able to find any examples. Even if this only functioned as a detail component it would be great. If someone really wants to be nice, I sure would like to see any examples you may have. Even if it's just a single slab with a single PT cable it would help me out A LOT.

Thanks,

Tom

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Tom

I will post some examples next week if your interested.
    Not at work for the next few days.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I have created a linebased Component which have one Dead End and the other side has Live nad Pans which you can swap between. I just realized I don't have a coupler in there but it could be added in similar maner. You can alo turn the duct of.
    For my High and Lows I only use line and text - nothing fancy.
    Cheers,
    J
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

A parametric 3D family is desperately needed however, the parabolic shape of the cables presents a real challenge in getting them to flex properly. I firmly believe that this is an item that the factory should have at the top of their to-do list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast