Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw Order

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Draw Order

Hello! I have a drawing that won't allow me to use DRAWORDER. I go through the steps and everything seems fine, but nothing happens.... it is like it just ignores me because it doesn't want to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Draw Order

Can you post the drawing?

Login to Give a bone

...and what version of AutoCAD are you using?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I've actually found it happens in some drawings (especially if they're very complex). Try doing the opposite of what you were: e.g. Bring to Front (the other objects) instead of Send to Back. Type All when asked to select the objects, then R (for remove) and select those you want "sent to back". It takes longer, but usually works.

And then if it still fails to show any change, force a regen. Or as a last resort, save, close, reopen.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    I've actually found it happens in some drawings (especially if they're very complex). Try doing the opposite of what you were: e.g. Bring to Front (the other objects) instead of Send to Back. Type All when asked to select the objects, then R (for remove) and select those you want "sent to back". It takes longer, but usually works.

And then if it still fails to show any change, force a regen. Or as a last resort, save, close, reopen.
    I tried this but still no luck. How do I attach a drawing so you guys can mess with it?

Login to Give a bone

Create a message and scroll down to and click the "manage attachments" button before submitting.

Login to Give a bone

All right, here is a copy of one of the drawings that isn't working.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

DRAWORDER manipulates the display system. The default means for establishing the order in which things get drawn is the order in which they are created. The one sure-fire way to accomplish putting something on "top" is to copy to the same place and erase the original, thus the copy has a newer creation date than what is under it. The attached lisp does this for you.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

That form of display order is affected by the SORTENTS variable.
    This thread and this thread and links within them may help (or just spread confusion about the subject).

IME, the only absolutely certain way to control display order is by the use of z-values. The object with the greatest z-value will always display in front of other objects - SO LONG AS YOU ONLY LOOK AT IT IN PLAN VIEW.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Now I've also tried that SORTENTS thingy ... strange that it's removed from Help! Unless you search it using "All Documentation" - then it's found in the Developer Documentation under DXF(HEADER, SORTENTSTAVLE, and DICTIONARYVAR) and Lisp (Object Snap). That needs to be changed - AutoDesk take note, why do you only give help to Developers for this SysVar?

On a related aside, I've been having problems with a DB I've created for a door on plan (Vanilla 2008 ). The idea was to use a wipeout to "cut" the walls by simply placing the block with a draw-order above the wall lines. While it works wonderfully in the drawing I've created the block, as soon as I import the block into another drawing (using Copy-n-Paste, or Design Center, or WBlock-&-Insert-Browse) the wipeout gets placed in front of the other entities inside the block. So the frame / threshold / lintel lines a hidden. Block attached.

The only workaround I've found was to Block Edit it as soon as I've inserted in the new drawing. Then select the wipeout & send to back. Close Block Edit & Save. This I need to do for each drawing the block is imported to. Is there any other (easier) way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast