Thread: Moved entire project elevation, lost plans

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Moved entire project elevation, lost plans

I tried to "Relocate" this project's elevation by +524' and it didn't seem to cooperate. So I grabbed the whole thing and moved it up and in the process lost the two plans that were included on sheets. Only the referenced plan views.
    The levels still exist but they are no longer associated with a view.

So, why didn't "Relocate" work, or rather my miserable attempt at relocate, and can I refresh the levels so that they are re-associated with a plan view? I've been poking around for quite a while and have come up blank.

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Moved entire project elevation, lost plans

All right, I figured out "Relocate".

Can you fix the level/plan view issue?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah. Revit doesn't like that...

Try this... Tools/ Shared Coordinates.

This way, you can set your project elevation (currently Zero feet) to 524' or what ever you desire. It's a much cleaner way of handling this type of situation.

Look up "Shared Coordinates" in the help window. Fairly clear tutorial.

Bryan

Login to Give a bone

Humm....

We have physically moved several projects up 100' and have not seen the issue you are describing. Read on and see if any of our experiences may help.

A little background for those interested in this thread....

The projects I am writing about have been modeled with revit arch, struct, and mep. Each in it's own separate model.

They were all originally modeled at ff = 0'-0".

All models are linked together.

To move them I would go to an elevation view and turn on the visibility of all my levels. Run a diminsion string that includes all my levels and lock it. Then move the levels up 100'.

Some cleanup needs to be done on objects that are not constrained to a level (generic models for instance) but this will get most of your model moved.

You will also have to check to make sure that all your grids now extend up to the new 100' level or beyond. If a grid does not intersect a level, the floor plan for that level will be blank. It helps to turn off the crop in the elevation view so you can see if there is still anything down at 0'.

One last note....some may ask why move the physical model instead of using shared coordinates? We are multi-discipline and have all vertical market revit packages in-house. Our structural department uses Ram/Risa which they export the Revit model into. Ram/Risa does not understand revit's shared coordinates (at least the last time we tried about 7 months ago). So, when we tried to export a "shared coordinate" model into Ram/Risa we would get some very strange things happening like the base of columns at 0' and the top of those columns at 110'. I believe that this is due to the fact that you never "really" can move the origin of a Revit project. (No need to start up a new thread on that last statement....search the forums and you will find many, many threads discussing/debating this issue.)

I hope this helps someone.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, it's certainly possible to relocate all modeled objects to a new elevation. But as you said, certain things require cleanup. Like the vertical crop extents for elevations, or any intermediate reference planes, for example.

But with shared coordinates, you don't require any clean up. All I want to be able to do is say, elevation 0'-0" really represents 147'-8." Clean and simple.

Bryan

Edit...

Didn't read that last part about Structures / RAM. I can see that being a problem. Fortunately (or unfortunately) none of our consultants have hopped on to BIM yet.