Thread: School Report

Login to Give a bone

Default School Report

Hi,

I am a student. I am asked to write a report on a topic of my choosing but it has to be related somehow to my field of study. I am in Engineering Design & Drafting Technology, so I mainly use AutoCAD, but it goes further from there. I have learned to use GIS systems such as ArcMAP. So the program has relation to civil design, structural design, mechanical design, surveying, etc..

What I'm asking is for topic ideas. I have no idea. Anyone got a topic or information that I can write a report on?

Thanks for the ideas!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: School Report

Quote Originally Posted by SweetChilly07 View Post
    Hi,

I am a student. I am asked to write a report on a topic of my choosing but it has to be related somehow to my field of study. I am in Engineering Design & Drafting Technology, so I mainly use AutoCAD, but it goes further from there. I have learned to use GIS systems such as ArcMAP. So the program has relation to civil design, structural design, mechanical design, surveying, etc..

What I'm asking is for topic ideas. I have no idea. Anyone got a topic or information that I can write a report on?

Thanks for the ideas!
    I'm going to move this from the AutoCAD 2011 General Forum to the Training Forum, as I think it would be better served here.

Thanks, and good luck with your report!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I'm thinking something Civil related, since I'll be working in a Geomatics firm, and I'll mainly be using Civil 3D.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, how about analyzing the cost to industry and customers of file format and object format changes with civil3d. specifically cost to customers of not being able to collaborate unless all team members are exactly in synch with both major and minor version. Examine in particular what happens to a Civil3d drawing when opened in a later version of vanilla autocad, and then returned to the c3d user for further work. Wasted time, missed deadlines, repeated labor, communications problems, etc.

for an example of this type of work, look for a pdf on the web entitled "Titanic 2020", which discusses cost of format change between work versions.

Just to spice it up, you could aalso examine long-term storage and archiving of c3d drawings, and determine if there is a legal way to look at exactly what was created 4 versions ago.... rather than importing/upgrading a design file to the current version.

hey, you asked.....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Ok, how about analyzing the cost to industry and customers of file format and object format changes with civil3d. specifically cost to customers of not being able to collaborate unless all team members are exactly in synch with both major and minor version. Examine in particular what happens to a Civil3d drawing when opened in a later version of vanilla autocad, and then returned to the c3d user for further work. Wasted time, missed deadlines, repeated labor, communications problems, etc.

for an example of this type of work, look for a pdf on the web entitled "Titanic 2020", which discusses cost of format change between work versions.

Just to spice it up, you could aalso examine long-term storage and archiving of c3d drawings, and determine if there is a legal way to look at exactly what was created 4 versions ago.... rather than importing/upgrading a design file to the current version.

hey, you asked.....

wow.... actually, I like the way your thinking. I'm gonna give this a try and take it on! Thanks so much for your feedback!

Login to Give a bone

update:

I guess one of the professors told us that the report should be based on a design idea and what software/methods were used to bring that idea to life.

For example, I designed a blank, and I used blank software to create a model of blank. The bulk of the report would be about how I used blank software and what problems I faced.

But it also has to be something I will not learn in the program. So far, we've used vanilla AutoCAD (of course), c3d, a little bit of Inventor. I think we will be using some Revet in the future but not too sure.

hrmmm... I guess I can just thumb through the software, see what it does or what its used for, think of a design idea and go from there.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns?
    Last edited by SweetChilly07; 2011-05-26 at 01:26 AM. Reason: updated information

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by SweetChilly07 View Post
    update:

But it also has to be something I will not learn in the program...
    I don't understand what you mean by that. can you expand a bit?