Hello,

I thought I would start a discussion about new generation users and older users. I understand it has been discussed many times before but I would like to have some insight on how people and their companies are tackling this conflict.

My company is a global wide consultant trying to implement Revit. The management and the board has started to take this new technology seriously. The developement of BIM using Revit is coming along nicely across several offices.

We have a healthy number of people who are interested in Revit and are almost using it in dairy basis, these people are aged between 20-35ish.

And than there is people who are the older generations 40-65+ year old CAD drafters. Who started off using the good old drawing board, T-squares, set squares etc. They have gone through the age of DOS to windows 3.1 and the very first AutoCAD, but now they refuse to use anything else other than AutoCAD.

I have had no luck motivating these people to use the program, and recent project has been required to use Revit package. I am the only one using Revit in my office out of 4 drafters. It has now became somewhat a bottle neck as I am the only person drafting in Revit. The other 3 people would sit there be idle, chat and not do any work becuase they can't use Revit.

I keep telling them that up-skilling is important and the company require drafter to be proficient with Revit. I understand from their perspective - they will will have nor merit in going through the trouble of learning a new package since they will retire in 1-5 years time.
But having 3 senior drafter that is unproductive and hence each earn over $50 an hour - costing the company money.

I think even the juniors who are straight out of high school is more useful since they are enthusiastic and willing to learn. They also cost the company nothing.

Does anyone have an advice in how to tackle the age gap and generations that are un-motivated?

Many thanks!