See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Do you have a wall naming convention in Revit?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and we stick to it strictly!

33 38.37%
  • Yes, but it is hard to get the user to stick to it...

43 50.00%
  • No, and I think a naming convention for walls is a waste of time.

10 11.63%

Thread: Revit Wall Naming Convention

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Revit Wall Naming Convention

Okay, I have attached a pdf of my first major stab at Revit Wall Naming conventions.

I know that some of you will probably hate it cause it's encrypted and complicated while others of you will hopefully like it for just that reason.

I would really appreciate some "critical" feedback for this. What are your thoughts...what pitfalls do you see...what benefits.

Feel free to ask me to clarify anything.

I am not looking for comments like..."too complicated..." but if you think it is, tell why and how it could affect our workflow in Revit. I know it's complicated, I want to know WHY you think it is and what problems you forsee.

I hope this thread will help fellow reviteers in their standards endeavor as well, particularly with walls.

On a side note, I wish there was a way to "hard coat" the wall name from the wall construction we set up for the wall in Revit. The major pitfall I see of any naming of walls is that if you ever edit/change the wall type composition, you have to manually update the name...just a thought.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by josh.made4worship; 2009-01-28 at 05:12 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Wall Naming Convention

We have a system for standard interior partitions. However we have a very lose system for exterior walls.

Our system is WAY shorter than yours.

A few comments. Why dor you need the F? Why not just S and W instead of FS and FW?

We shortended our widths to nominal units based on the stud width. So just 3 or 6. We don't use 3 1/2" metal studs so there is no need to slice things that fine.

The rating is just a parameter on the wall for us.

Save some space and just use <Description> rather than <<<Description>>>. I think everyone gets the idea. Or just drop it all together and keep it as the description parameter. This forces users to learn the system. Why the underscores? That is so retro. Something like
    1/2" Gyp.>3 5/8" Stud<1/2" Gyp. Would be more Revit as the >< could indicate the >Core<.

Adding in the STC as a shared instance parameter greatly reduces the number of wall types required. But this does requite a little more checking as you assemble the documents.

It is a complex issue. I've suggested that what Revit really needs is sub-types. So you could have one wall which is gyp. stud gyp. and then have several variations of thickness and type developed from that. It would save a lot of organizational time.

Login to Give a bone

Great comment...I am currently getting more feedback here in house, and will share some of that feedback with you guys once I come to some more conclusions about how this should work.

fyi...we are looking at getting rid of the STC and the Fire Rating all together in the wall name. The comment was made that if you can see the component construction, you can have a good idea of what the ratings will be with a little experience. Plus, as you mentioned, it's data in the wall properties that be looked at manually if necessary.

The "<<<..." really was a stupid idea...it was late yesterday and I was just trying to indicate the "construction" section of the name. Nice comment on the "retro"-ness of my naming convention...lol.

As far as your STC comment, I don't know that I completely understand. The STC rating is based on the wall construction, and since the wall construction is by Type, why would you want the Rating to be by instance?...let me know your thoughts...maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective.
    Last edited by josh.made4worship; 2009-01-28 at 05:12 AM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ours are rough first/second attempts as well, but ive been using them fairly well on projects, and they are easiy to sort through.

For stacked walls we use the thickest designation, and the same system bith with blackslashes "STONE/EIFS - MTL STD - GYP" and so on.

I tossed up the one on families too. Its not bulletproof, but its better than the "everyone throw their initials after the family and project name" method that existed before hand...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

very nice...this will be helpful to us and many other Reviteers I am sure...thanks for the post.

P.S. I was just fixing to tackle family naming conventions, so thanks again!
    Last edited by josh.made4worship; 2009-01-28 at 05:13 AM. Reason: additional info.

Login to Give a bone

One more comment regarding the families naming convention. We have "pre-fixed" our family names with their corresponding "MasterSpec" number...this really helps organize the drop down list, particular with things defined as "components." It also helps us keep our Family Library Organized a little more in depth...just a thought. I took me a while to set it up this way though, since I had to go and rename all of the existing "out of box" families with their "MasterSpec" number as a prefix...but I accomplished it and like it pretty well.
    Last edited by josh.made4worship; 2009-01-28 at 05:13 AM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I find in the Revit library im often looking for things based on what theyre used for... So the CONST families are ones that are just components made to model things like EIFS cornices that are at angles, wall brackets, etc... I know if i need to find a Profile, i sort by name and go to PRF. I know a few places are sorting the families directory by catagory, but thats tough if a lot of things get modeled as Generic Models, but dont get me started on that, LOL...