See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Do you have a wall naming convention in Revit?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and we stick to it strictly!

33 38.37%
  • Yes, but it is hard to get the user to stick to it...

43 50.00%
  • No, and I think a naming convention for walls is a waste of time.

10 11.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit Wall Naming Convention

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Wall Naming Convention

I have taken the simple approach here as well. I broke our walls down based on what the overall construction was going to be. So walls that are used as furring start with an F identifier; gypsum walls with G, Masonry walls with M and Wood walls with W. We leave exterior wall definitions to wall sections.

Samples attached. Also from a scheduling standpoint, I created a parameter for walls that would allow sorting and grouping by assembly type.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

We use a four-character tag.
    Letter for core type (M, S, W).
    Number for core thickness (0 for direct applied, for instance gwb to existing cmu) in whole-number increments.
    Number for head attachment type: six possible head types.
    Finishes switch, A,B,C et.c for scheduled finishes. Most finishes are one layer of gwb on both sides for interior partitions. The idea here is that it's very easy to frame partitions based on the first three characters, and then finishes are scheduled or elevated.
    If particular STC or fire ratings apply to a partition, they are noted in the final 'finishes' switch
    Exterior walls are developed in section. We have tagged them on residential projects where the same wall section appears over and over again, using E1, E2, and so on.

I could stop if I wanted to Kevin Janik's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Mike,

Could you please show us some examples of what the wall names would be. I am a bit confused and your wall tag graphic associated to a wall name from the examples above. That would help me out.

Kevin

Login to Give a bone

So you create unique wall types depending on the head attachment type? Isn't that redundant? I mean, the wall construction is the same. Different head conditions really result in different bracing configurations or gyp stopping above ceiling for example, etc. But fundementally, the wall is the same. I really struggle with figuring out the best "BIM" way to model and document walls.

Login to Give a bone

ahhh...great discussion, and I guess the following probably belongs on the wish list, but here goes.

subtypes would be awesome

So many firms I work for have some designator within their wall tag system for:
    1) height of wall (to ceiling, 6" above ceiling, full height)
    as well as
    2) finish layer height (6" above ceiling, full height)

Item 1) While the parameter exists for item 1 (wall top and wall top offset), these parameters are not exposed to tags (don't get me started here). I have thought much about this one and cannot see any resolution. Even if I could test to see if wall was top constrained to next level up, there will always be the condition where the next level up is a partial level such as a mezzanine or...If I could test to see if the wall was top attached, same deal, I would need to test if the wall was top attached to a floor or roof that was the correct "next level up".

Item 2) Granted that Revit wall (structure) finishes are a bit oblivious to their conditions relative to their adjacent ceilings, this becomes a tedious manual process in BIM (not just Revit). Manual process = likely chance for error.
    I could (and have) defined wall types for simple buildings that have wall finish layer heights absolutely defined (little known/documented wall structural property (hit the wall in the structure>edit section preview and unlock the single gwb component top)), this makes for too many wall types in a project and is unweildy in anything but a small project.

no answers, good thread, thanks

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Revit Wall Naming Convention

In order to keep wall naming and wall tags easy to use and understandable for all, I believe the type and instance should be kept separate. I like to only name a wall with what is included in the type parameters (listed my opinion on that earlier in this thread). Likewise, the actual wall "type mark" will only reflect type parameters (to each their own) and not the instance parameters.

However, I think the documents should quickly give the reader an accurate understanding of all wall properties. So, there are a couple ways, that I can think of, to depict instance parameters or properties for each wall:

1. The wall tag family could have modified to have number, symbols and/or letters just outside of the tag shape (diamond is standard). Then, your symbol legend will then reflect the encryptic code.

2. The wall itself can be graphically modified to and depicted in a legend. This can be easily achieve with visibility graphic filters and hatches.

Personally I like a combination of the two. Becuase different plan sheets are designated for different purposes (Dimensions, keynotes, egress, RCP, etc.) the specific filters can be applied. I think tag styles should be limited in a project to limit confusion when switch in from sheet to sheet, but I don't think hatches don't have that same problem.

I am still in the process of figuring out what is the best practice, but this is where I am at currently. Does anyone have a wall tag does what I describe above?

I could stop if I wanted to nsinha73's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wow awesome guys....We have something very similar however very short...

EX 7 1/2" SP II G

EX - Exterior

7 1/2" - Wall

S - Stucco

P - Ply

II - Indicates Core

G - Gypsum Board

I could stop if I wanted to cek's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Revit Wall Naming Convention

I've been down this road before and there doesn't seem to be a simple way to address this. Once you start to realize the number of variables in a wall assembly the permutations become enormous, especially if you are a firm that does a wide variety of project types. The coding approach, which I've also tried, has part of its roots in trying to shorten the descriptive so it conveniently appears in the Revit drop down menu. Modifying this limitation within Revit would appear to go along way toward resolving wall naming issues and help a more novice user extract the appropriate wall type.

I beilieve the solution can be found in having a logical structured menu to select your wall from. A possible answer might be found in a tiered menu approach (like many web sites employ). If each tier could appear as a parameter within the wall construction and as we build the wall assembly it locates it's value properly within the tiered menu structure this may be very helpful.

Of course once the wall is selected you will want to retain this type so as not to have to revisit the Wall Assembly Selector so an abbreviated code would be necessary, possibly derived from the core assembly. If you then placed your cursor over a particular coded assembly the entire assembly structure should be revealed.

Just a suggestion.

For example:

WALL ASSEMBLY SELECTION
    Exterior
    -----Frame
    --------4” (Nom)
    ------------Wood
    --------------16” o.c.
    -----------------Sheathing 0.5” OSB / 0.5” GWB
    --------------------2” EFIS
    -----------------Sheathing 0.5” CDX / 0.625” GWB
    ---------------24” o.c.
    -------------------Sheathing 0.5” OSB / 0.5” GWB
    -------------------Sheathing 0.5” CDX / 0.625” GWB
    ------------Metal
    --------6” (Nom)
    --------8” (Nom)
    ----Masonry
    --------6”
    --------8”
    --------12”

WALLS SELECTED

X-Ext-F4W
    (where X would be a wall not assigned a mark value for the wall schedule)
    1-Ext-F4W
    (where ‘1’ would be the wall assigned mark value for the wall schedule)

Login to Give a bone

Since Revit has a steady stream of new users, I thought it would be nice to revive this thread.

Here are my thoughts ...

At the extreme low-end one could simply name walls 1,2,3,4 etc. whereas the opposite extreme of naming every single component: (Component 1)(Component 2)(Component 3)Core(Component 4)(Component 5) to Ad infinitum is just as crazy.

So, we went with a happy medium. Choosing to name walls based on the attached image.

Example: EXT-WS*nr(7/8" EIFS/2x6/.62Gyp)9 1/8"#12+

Essentially, we chose to break down the wall name with codes for Exterior (Interior) / Major support member type / Fire & Smoke Rating / Then the outermost exterior material / The core thickness / Innermost material / Total Thickness (This was a designer request) / Sequential Number for walls that are of the same general type but have differences / And the final number is a sequential project specific number where multiple instances are used with different para-metrics.

Ok, that looks like a lot when you describe it but it really isn't. (Check the image) The result is a wall type name that is easily identifiable, sorts well and customizable without being too over the top (IMO). The name itself is not really any longer than some of the pre-installed wall types.

Wall Style Key.jpg

The walls themselves are stored in a template file along with the Wall Type Detail, which is created in a drafting view. The drafting view can be inserted into the current project file and placed on a sheet with ease. The wall is simply copied into the current project (copy / paste).
    Last edited by DzineN; 2013-03-30 at 07:44 PM. Reason: clarification

Login to Give a bone

All our family types (walls or otherwise) are named in the same very simple method:

"The thing"("The thing's dimensions in mm")
    ie for a door:
    Panel(820x40x2040)

An underscore separates the different components that you need to describe in a family:
    Panel(820x40x2040)_Frame(40)

Works for anything...

Tree(6000)
    Spa(800x1700x500)_6 Jets_White
    Cubicle(900x1800)
    Arial(1.

We actually avoid writing the name in the type if its in the family name.

AS FOR WALLS.... they are very similar

Use simple abbreviations for the layers and work from Exterior>Interior
    An underscore divides the different layers

1 Layer 13mm Plasterboard each side of 76mm Steel Stud
    PLB(13)_SSF(76)_PLB(13)

Brick Veneer
    BWK(110)_CAV(50)_TSF_(90)_PLB(10)

Brick Veneer.png

SSF - Steel Stud Frame
    PLB - Plasterboard
    BWK - Brickwork
    CAV - Cavity

We can build/copy and create walls very easily on the fly and the users on Revit can easily understand the system.
    Not to mention all the benefits of filtering based on type name

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast