Thread: Can't switch family in type selector...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can't switch family in type selector...

I haven't had this happen before, mainly because we make our own content most of the time.

For whatever reason, I've got two families that are both in the same category, but I can't switch between them. If I select one and switch to the other, I get the wonderful can't make type error.

1. All the other instances of that type are fine.
    2. I can place new instances of either family, any type.
    3. I've checked all the instance parameters to make sure they can be set the same across both families without breaking it.

Based on that I believe both families are fine (not breaking or anything).

That leaves me with this thought...

1. Since these are two very different families with very different parameters, Revit can't figure out what values go where when you change families and thus gives that wonderful error.

2. Since one family has a bunch of shared nested components, and the other has a bunch of non-shared nested components, it is having a hissy fit switching families out that have different nesting situations.

I think #1 is more likely, but I'd like to know if there is a "rule" that can help me change the minimal amount of parameters to let me flip flop families. Does it only matter with Type parameters? Does it matter if one family has a paramater but the other doesn't? Does it matter is one parameter is instance in one family and type in another? Does it matter if one parameter has a formula in one family and not in another?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't switch family in type selector...

Well it shouldn't matter what formulas are in one and not another or if one is type and another instance.

Have you created both the families from similar family template files? Or are they complete opposites in some way?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

One is a download, the other in house. We use shared parameters for everything, and this file is all mumbo-jumbo. That's why I'm looking for a direction here. I could spend a whole day cleaning up, fixing, and replacing parameters in this family. Instead, I'd like to switch it out for one of our own. However, I don't want to have to delete 356 instances and start from scratch, hence wanting to switch to the correct family in the type selector.

Not a good day...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Kelly,

Can you post both families, so we can give it a try?

Andre Carvalho

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Kelly-

Does it generate the error of you select the family that is currently in your model in the project browser, and hit reload from, and then select the new one?

+1 for posting them, and we can see if they act that way as well...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Aaron, thanks.

That worked like a charm. The worst part of it is that I've used that trick a dozen times on other families on other projects, but managed to time a major brain fart with a project deadline...

As usual, you're spot on.

Thanks man!!!

Login to Give a bone

Dude, anytime.

Id still like to see the families, because im curious what the issue is. But i understand if its a "work product" thing that you cant let out.

Let me know, im always interested in finding revit peculiarities.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like a default parameter value in the family you're trying to switch to (whether instance or type) is causing something to break, such as making a sketch line be too small or an array value be less than 2 (or something on that line). Edit the family and flex it with the parameter values of the family you're trying to exchange in the project and see if you get that error in the Family Editor.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    Sounds like a default parameter value in the family you're trying to switch to (whether instance or type) is causing something to break, such as making a sketch line be too small or an array value be less than 2 (or something on that line). Edit the family and flex it with the parameter values of the family you're trying to exchange in the project and see if you get that error in the Family Editor.
    Nope.

I can change all the similar values to match in both families side by side in the project. I only get the error when I try and switch the families. I'm going to post these in a bit so others can try it out. I don't have any problem posting our family, it is actually someone else's family that I need to check on. We give ours out freely but not everyone does. Since this isn't our family (not sure how it even got into our project to be frank) I figure I need to check with the authors (who kindly included their info in the family) to see if they mind me posting it here. As soon as I hear back I'll let everyone know.

Thanks!!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Calvn_Swing View Post
    Nope.

I can change all the similar values to match in both families side by side in the project. I only get the error when I try and switch the families. I'm going to post these in a bit so others can try it out. I don't have any problem posting our family, it is actually someone else's family that I need to check on. We give ours out freely but not everyone does. Since this isn't our family (not sure how it even got into our project to be frank) I figure I need to check with the authors (who kindly included their info in the family) to see if they mind me posting it here. As soon as I hear back I'll let everyone know.

Thanks!!!
    I always like you guys for that... Im a Revit hippie, and want us all to share and trade. I think we need to be that way with knowledge. Props to you down there.