Thread: underlay in MS but not in PS

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default underlay in MS but not in PS

doing a foundation plan in MS, it be nice to have underlay on the floor plan for reference but don't want the same view in PS can we have it both ways at the same time.... other wise it would easy to leave the underlay on when you are printing when you don't want it.

did notice that underlays do show up on print previews

r

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: underlay in MS but not in PS

So... I assume that this post is not in the wrong part of the forum. Model space and Paper space are features of ACAD. In REVIT you have views (listed in the project browser on the left) that are basically a live "picture" of the virtual model you are building. Elevations are pictures of the vertical surfaces of the model. Sections are (literally) pictures of the surface after you make a vertical "slice" through the model. Plans are pictures of the horizonal surface after you make a horizontal section through the model. And the 3d view is a picture of the "outside of the model. ACAD users often have trouble with these coments and that is why I want to be clear on this.

That being said, I think I understand what you mean. However, I don't think that there is a way to change how the view displays on the sheet and not change it in the view itself. I could be wrong, but I don't see a way to apply a view template to a sheet. I guess that makes sense though, they are called view templates.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lewerim View Post
    However, I don't think that there is a way to change how the view displays on the sheet and not change it in the view itself.
    You can do that, but not using the same view. You could duplicate your view and add the one without underlay to the sheet and use the one with underlay as a work view.

Andre Carvalho

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Carvalho View Post
    You can do that, but not using the same view. You could duplicate your view and add the one without underlay to the sheet and use the one with underlay as a work view.

Andre Carvalho
    True. And I think that a lot of users will create "working" views and "plotting" views so that they can have elements that they use to aid in modeling on in the working view and off in the plot freindly view. But you can't have the SAME view present differently in two different places. Just like you can't have a view on two different sheets.

Thanks to Andre for actually answering the question though.

I tend to get serious about what you call things so that others can understand you. Hence the MS/PS vs View/Sheets. I guess that's what happens when you have to explain things over the phone.

Login to Give a bone

sorry didn't meant to cause any HBP with MS/PS

well most of use have one foot in DWG and the other in RVT

duplicate views sounds like it would work but too if a lot of the views have underlays that will also be in the sheets. so now the browser list means a lot scrolling to find things...

just think how wonderfull it would be just have a little option selector on whether you want underlays in the views that are on the sheets regardless of their statis in the (other places?)

steep steep learning curve...

r

I could stop if I wanted to brethomp's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ray salmon View Post
    duplicate views sounds like it would work but too if a lot of the views have underlays that will also be in the sheets. so now the browser list means a lot scrolling to find things...
    Yep the list gets long, get used to it. But there are steps that you can take to re-organize the project browser and make the list shorter, or just better organized for your needs. In your case, setting the views section to "not on sheets" would only list your "working" views in the top section of the browser, and your "PS" views would only be listed under the sheets that they are on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray salmon View Post
    just think how wonderfull it would be just have a little option selector on whether you want underlays in the views that are on the sheets regardless of their statis in the (other places?)
    No way! No reason to re-introduce the mistakes and confusion of AutoCAD to Revit. It takes a while but you will need to forget how things worked in AutoCAD. In most situations Revit's implementations are simpler and easier to understand. Your issue is one example. Revit uses the WYSIWYG approach, as you see a view on the screen is exactly the way that it will print. Eliminating the confusion and errors made in AutoCAD, where the drawing and print almost always looked different.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bthompson.99578 View Post
    there are steps that you can take to re-organize the project browser and make the list shorter, or just better organized for your needs. In your case, setting the views section to "not on sheets" would only list your "working" views in the top section of the browser
    You can also create a new "Browser Organization". In the settings menu click browser organization> new. Then name you new organization something that makes sense to you and the folks that work in your office. Take a look at the organization named "not on sheets" and look at how the folders are grouped and the filters that are applied. I think you will get some ideas about how you can productively arrange your own browser views.

And BTW, I don't have a problem with you using MS/PS it's just that I work in support and it always helps when we call things by the correct name.

Good luck in your REVIT endeavors.

Login to Give a bone

mahalo everyone

no contest, i see everyones point.

i will adjust...

btw Oboma is here today...
    no big to me tho.

ray