Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Property lines changed in dwg imports!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Property lines changed in dwg imports!

I just imported a survey dwg file into my project, and two of the four property lines in the import were changed, from a bearing of N89 57 56W to N90W !!! These were not native Revit lines, but the property lines in the dwg file! This is a huge issue for us, for now we can't rely on the surveyor's dwg files to import into Revit!

Quote Originally Posted by Autodesk Support
    Unfortunately this is a limitation with Revit - if the program encounters a line that is almost horizontal, it will make it exactly horizontal. Unfortunately there is no way to modify the precision of imported lines. Development is aware of this issue and they are looking at ways to improve this functionality in future releases. The only workaround, at this point, is to break the line up into smaller segments. Revit will still adjust the lines, but the changes will be less noticeable.
    I've always believed that I could trust the import dwg files to be correct, but now I found out that Revit is changing the entity coordinates, and you have no way to know what is changed!!!
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2008-09-20 at 07:03 PM. Reason: removed font formatting codes and added quote codes

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Property lines changed in dwg imports!

O_O !!!!

This is unforgiveable behaviour! Fix it now now now please, autodesk.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MRV Quoting Autodesk
    ...Unfortunately this is a limitation with Revit - if the program encounters a line that is almost horizontal, it will make it exactly horizontal...
    This goes hand in hand with warnings that your "line is slightly off-axis and may cause inaccuracies." Same behvior trend. I have heard of the same issue with arcs created by a trigonometric formula in a family parameter on a very large job...

-LC
    Last edited by echo; 2008-08-18 at 08:59 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Absolutely unforgiveable!! We have a very large slightly curved building, and generate over 2000 (yes, that’s OVER 2000!!) warnings in each model of ‘line is slightly off axis’ which we can’t get rid of & simply bloat our model. Everyone does not build or design at 90*. This is, for us, a serious problem and deserves some correction. There is no reason that a line ‘slightly off’ vertical or horizontal should generate a problem.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Over 2000 just for "line is slightly off axis???" How many lines are being corrected, then, if there are that many warnings? Do you see similar things to what MRV originally posted that the lines were auto-correcting to due horizontal?

Login to Give a bone

Yep, we have an average of around 2000 warnings per project file just of ‘line slightly off axis.’ With 13 project files linking into one another to create the one model you can see where our performance suffers. Nothing we can do about "slightly off axis" other than delete, which, obviously, is not an option, as that would delete essentially our entire project.

The 'break into smaller segments' makes zero sense in our case, as lines would continue to be 'slightly off axis.' We have seen some auto-correct, but really have a very hard time keeping track of those occurrences.

Login to Give a bone

This is STILL a hot-button issue with us; serious problem.....anyone?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This doesn't resolve or change how Revit deals with the imported lines in the cad file. If you enter the property boundary data into the Table of Distances and Bearing you'll find that Revit is willing to display this information accurately.

Are the 2k lines that are generating the errors Revit lines? I find that if you put details that have such errors in a detail component family first and place that in the project that the errors do not follow the family into the project. I don't know if this is practical for your situation or not. In my case we had many many cad details that were getting imported and exploded into a project (bad idea). This generated many such warning as you can imagine. We removed this work and did the "same" thing in a detail component family and placed this family instead, no errors in the project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I'm running into this type of error on a remodel. The as-built revit model is just that as-built, so walls aren't truely square and its a bit of a pain. I'm hoping the performance isn't affected by the warnings. The property line issue is huge though. Have you filed a support request and if so what did they say. Thats definately NOT something they can leave unfixed for long.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

They basically told me that's the way it is, take it or leave it. I was pretty upset about the whole thing at the time, and haven't calmed down a whole lot since then. I was drawing whole subdivisions by sketching over the dwg file, and never noticed the property lines were being changed. That's the really bad part, Revit was changing the lines without any notification at all. My trust factor in Revit drawings is down a few notches now, I don't assume anything is correct now without verifying!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast