Thread: Point Parameters don't play nice with Flip

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Point Parameters don't play nice with Flip

I have this callout block and I've got almost all of the kinks worked out. I'm just having problems with the flips. When I try to flip the point parameter rather than flipping around the flip line it instead wants to mirror, along with its subjects, around the base point. I tried moving the base point to the intersection of the two mirror lines, but this causes even more bizarre behavior because it needs to move in order to stay centered when the block stretches. Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Point Parameters don't play nice with Flip

Quote Originally Posted by mockdeep View Post
    I have this callout block and I've got almost all of the kinks worked out. I'm just having problems with the flips. When I try to flip the point parameter rather than flipping around the flip line it instead wants to mirror, along with its subjects, around the base point. I tried moving the base point to the intersection of the two mirror lines, but this causes even more bizarre behavior because it needs to move in order to stay centered when the block stretches. Any ideas?
    this has been covered multiple times already in the DB Forums. Try searching the sharing forum for a sample and try to dissect the block to solve your problem.

Also try searching the technical forums and see if the problems that have been faced and the solutions that have been offered by other users can help you out.

If all that doesn't answer your question, post back here and let us know. I'll be glad to help you out then.

I think that dissecting a block is the way to go in your particular case, though. It's always good to see the guts of the many DBs that other people have done. Who knows, you might find a way to tighten your design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    this has been covered multiple times already in the DB Forums. Try searching the sharing forum for a sample and try to dissect the block to solve your problem.

Also try searching the technical forums and see if the problems that have been faced and the solutions that have been offered by other users can help you out.

If all that doesn't answer your question, post back here and let us know. I'll be glad to help you out then.

I think that dissecting a block is the way to go in your particular case, though. It's always good to see the guts of the many DBs that other people have done. Who knows, you might find a way to tighten your design.
    Rico, I actually searched before but didn't manage to find anything. Is there a particular post you can point me to? I am trying to make it so that the point parameter flips and takes the attributes with it, but this is ineffective when I am flipping the base point as well. I have simplified the problem in the attached drawing. Is there no way to get around this?

Login to Give a bone

Rico, I actually searched before but didn't manage to find anything. Is there a particular post you can point me to? I am trying to make it so that the point parameter flips and takes the attributes with it, but this is ineffective when I am flipping the base point as well. I have simplified the problem in the attached drawing. Is there no way to get around this?
    okay. search through here.

http://forums.augi.com/search.php?searchid=630760

try looking at my callout block or chris's callout block.

rick moore
    has a nice take on the classic.

Mr. Cory did one up too and JPDuhon also dipped his hat into the callout pool.

somewhere in there HAS to be something that can be of help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

I am trying to make it so that the point parameter flips and takes the attributes with it, but this is ineffective when I am flipping the base point as well. I have simplified the problem in the attached drawing. Is there no way to get around this?
    I think that the trial and error method is a great way to figure things out. I think we learn a lot more by doing it ourselves and understanding the reasons why processes are used. Plus we learna bit more about each feature when we try it out ourselves.

However, time is money and I can understand the need to have a DB issue ironed out lickety splits.

So I'll take a bit of time to help you, here. The major keys to remember with DBs are .....

1. make sure you chain parameters
    2. do not flip the basepoint at any point (at least this is what I have found from my own experiences)
    3. remove any actions from your other actions

In your particular case, all you have to do is NOT include your basepoint into the flips and your original block should work fine.

But what you'll find is that the basepoint will change location in modelspace if you stretch your block, rotate and then flip (in that order). It's a (un)natural part of the DB process, a bug that hasn't been ironed out. If you can live with THAT, then you have a nice block on your hands.

If the basepoint gets far out from where you are comfortable having it, then reset the block and restart from the starting positions.

Hope this helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Rico, I've been toying around with it for a while. I'm pretty particular about keeping things where they belong, which is why I was trying to flip the base point. It worked fine until I tried to introduce rotation into the mix, which required the point parameters and so on. I think I've got an idea, though, that will make the flip parameters unnecessary altogether. I'll post it if I ever get it finished.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Rico, I've been toying around with it for a while. I'm pretty particular about keeping things where they belong, which is why I was trying to flip the base point. It worked fine until I tried to introduce rotation into the mix, which required the point parameters and so on. I think I've got an idea, though, that will make the flip parameters unnecessary altogether. I'll post it if I ever get it finished.
    Anytime dude.

It helps that you asked so sweetly.

When you git 'er done, be sure to post your finished product in the sharing forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell