Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monolithic Stair

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Monolithic Stair

I have encountered a problem with my monolithic stair with a "Stepped" Underside of winder. The problem is, its not stepped. I have checked the documentation and other third party reference. Cant seem to find any detailed description on this. Where did I go wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Monolithic Stair

I am trying to figure this out too! I am on RAC2009 and I noticed last night that no matter what I did the monolithic showed up as smooth even in a new sessions. (outside of the file that I was working on)

Login to Give a bone

The trick here is that it is just WINDER type treads that will be stepped on the underside of the stair. Winders are created when you have riser lines that are not parallel to the adjacent riser lines.

Login to Give a bone

To get a stepped look on the underside, uncheck Monolithic and then set your thread thickness to be, say, 1'-0" and set the Left & Right Stringers to None.

Oddly enough a couple of weeks ago I saw some monolithic stairs in a project that would step and not go smooth. Couldn't figure out what was causing the issue.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    To get a stepped look on the underside, uncheck Monolithic and then set your thread thickness to be, say, 1'-0" and set the Left & Right Stringers to None.

Oddly enough a couple of weeks ago I saw some monolithic stairs in a project that would step and not go smooth. Couldn't figure out what was causing the issue.
    Wow. 1 foot is too thick. But this is not the case as shown in figure 5.13 page 137 of Mastering Revit Architecture 2008. The sample shows a Spiral Staircase with a 6" thick Monolithic Stepped Stair. No Stringers. Anybody got RAC 2008 to double check this?

I found out this problem when my office mate asked me how does my "stepped" stair looks like in Revit Ceiling Plan compared to Archicad. When I tried to make the stair first,
    to my imbarassment. I cannot create the monolithic stepped stair.

I'm sure this is a broken feature. WU2 please.
    Last edited by Jun Austria; 2008-08-24 at 12:13 AM.

Login to Give a bone

a) the 1'-0" suggestion was just an example;
    b) it is not broken. The spiral example is a winder, which can be specified as stepped in the type properties. See my attached example fresh from 2009 WU1 with a 6" landing overlap. If you have straight runs, the only way to do a stepped "monolithic" stair is as described in my post above. Unfortunately you cannot have landing (thread) overlaps with that technique.

Login to Give a bone

a) the 1'-0" suggestion was just an example;
    b) it is not broken. The spiral example is a winder, which can be specified as stepped in the type properties. See my attached example fresh from 2009 WU1 with a 6" landing overlap. If you have straight runs, the only way to do a stepped "monolithic" stair is as described in my post above. Unfortunately you cannot have landing (thread) overlaps with that technique.
    Stair A as per advised (Thanks Dave). Stair B both monolithic set to "stepped" but drawn straight and arched.

I just dont get it, why the Straight run doesnt behave like the Arched run.

Login to Give a bone

The option is just for winders. I don't knnow why either. I have to dig up the example when it wouldn't go smooth and see if I can figure out why.

Login to Give a bone

I figured why Revit is stepping the steps in the example I mentioned...it's thinking they're landings/winders!! I have no clue how the user came up with this stair; I can't reproduce it. The center line is still there but is not connected to anything. In fact if you try to set the base offset to zero, the stair breaks. Now if you can figure out a way to fool Revit into thinking you're drawing winders/landings, you'll be able to step them and give them a landing overlap value. See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2008-08-24 at 04:15 AM.

Login to Give a bone

I figured why Revit is stepping the steps in the example I mentioned...it's thinking they're landings/winders!! I have no clue how the user came up with this stair; I can't reproduce it. The center line is still there but is not connected to anything. In fact if you try to set the base offset to zero, the stair breaks. Now if you can figure out a way to fool Revit into thinking you're drawing winders/landings, you'll be able to step them and give them a landing overlap value. See attached.
    Thanks Dave. I think I will do more study on the stair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast