Thread: WISH - DWF underlay

Login to Give a bone

Default WISH - DWF underlay

Where is the DWF underlay option? It has been in Autocad for a while. Wouldn't it be great?

Oh yeah, and please fix all of the other issues with DWFs too

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: WISH - DWF underlay

There is an option for dwf underlay. In the file menu there is an option to load a dwf review set. This will load in the dwf sheets.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mthurnauer View Post
    There is an option for dwf underlay. In the file menu there is an option to load a dwf review set. This will load in the dwf sheets.
    I got all excited when I first saw that.
    Alas, the DWF Link only shows you the markups. It does not show the "original" DWF. Just the redlines.

It's got my vote, though. In fact, I submitted this as a Wish List item quite a while ago.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mthurnauer View Post
    This loads a sheet for redline only. The two other uses I would love to see are:

1: Consultant exports a modelspace DWF of their work, which I can then link into a view. Linked info, NOT using a DWG. Smaller file, no AEC Objects, still has layers. Just like AutoCAD can use a DWF. And I suspect that those itty bitty DWFs would be faster and more stable making of Revit. Hey, linked DWF for DWG reuse details. Not that I support ANYONE being in AutoCAD for doing real work, but for those who like to leap a chasm in two bounds...
    2: I print a DWG from Word or Excel, and link that into a sheet. Large amounts of text, columnar data, etc., scaled correctly, on a sheet, and when I need to edit I do it in a tool that actually works for that function, not some cobbled together kludge of a text editor that can't do real text editing. Bullet lists, check. Numbered lists, check. Tabbed indents, check. Special characters, check. Finally a reason to use that DWF Printer driver Autodesk has been "marketing" for years, check. Solves a problem that I actually have now, using technology that Autodesk actually has now, check.

What's not to like?

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

GORDON!! Awesome tip. Now we need that DWF printed from MS Word to be able to be inserted as an underlay in REVIT!!

Or, am I missing something??

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

i used to use the dwf mark up underlay in ADT. it worked really well. Users could see my mark ups and once completed they would sign off the mark up. i could then see who did the change, or who said they made the change. you just have to be explicit on your mark ups.

Have not tried it on revit as of yet, but i hope the functionallity is similar.

i would agree that seeing the DWF could be useful in some situations, but i would not want to see the current functionality disappear.

Justin

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Marchiel View Post
    i used to use the dwf mark up underlay in ADT. it worked really well. Users could see my mark ups and once completed they would sign off the mark up. i could then see who did the change, or who said they made the change. you just have to be explicit on your mark ups.

Have not tried it on revit as of yet, but i hope the functionallity is similar.

i would agree that seeing the DWF could be useful in some situations, but i would not want to see the current functionality disappear.

Justin
    Oh indeed. Too many times Autodesk has taken away good functionality. On the DWF front the current Markup tools should be retained and expanded on, and DWF based functionality from other products should be added (you know, for consistency's sake) and totally new functionality should be added where appropriate. But the fact that 6 years on Revit still makes substantially less use of the DWF format than other Autodesk products, and that DWF functionality could address some glaring deficiencies in Revit (text formatting, performance with linked DWGs, etc.) is rather, um, unnerving.

Gordon