Thread: SSM, layer and xref settings

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy SSM, layer and xref settings

Hi all,
    Here's the question: how are the settings for layers and xrefs handled in SSM? For example, i place a view of "my" drawing on the sheet. It contains xrefs "A" and "B". When i place the view, A is loaded and B is unloaded. If I work some more, unload A and reload B, (maybe I've gotten a new version from the architect) will the sheet reflect what I see in my drawing now or the view I had when I first placed it? What if I add new xrefs; wil they show up?

What about layers? I place the view with some layers on, some off, some frozen, etc. Then I work with my drawing and add/delete/freeze/thaw/on/off. What will the sheet look like now?

I've tried the autocad help but have'nt gotten far. Any tips about where I can find some in-depth-seriously-detailed SSM management instructions?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SSM, layer and xref settings

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_L View Post
    Hi all,
    Here's the question: how are the settings for layers and xrefs handled in SSM? For example, i place a view of "my" drawing on the sheet. It contains xrefs "A" and "B". When i place the view, A is loaded and B is unloaded. If I work some more, unload A and reload B, (maybe I've gotten a new version from the architect) will the sheet reflect what I see in my drawing now or the view I had when I first placed it? What if I add new xrefs; wil they show up?

What about layers? I place the view with some layers on, some off, some frozen, etc. Then I work with my drawing and add/delete/freeze/thaw/on/off. What will the sheet look like now?

I've tried the autocad help but have'nt gotten far. Any tips about where I can find some in-depth-seriously-detailed SSM management instructions?

Thanks!
    When inserting views into a "sheet", SSM will xref (if necesary) the base drawing containing the "view" and will create a layer using the same filename as the working file. This last step to freeze everything else including layer "zero" inside the newly created viewport.

I would suggest you check the layer states of the inserted xrefs. Hope this helps

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SSM, layer and xref settings

thanks,
    I found out that the VISRETAIN variable is improtant here. If set to 0, the layers are show as set in the xref. If set to 1, they are shown as set in the current drawing. (ie, the one that contains the xref.)
    You can change the layer statesin the current drawing but those changes will not be saved with the drawing.