Thread: Accounting for Atriums?

Login to Give a bone

Question Accounting for Atriums?

I'm only on the 3rd floor of my first FMD project, and I've gotten to the point where I've created spaces for the entire floor (just under 150,000 sq ft) BUT, I haven't created Space Objects for the atriums.

I've got this huge patch of footprint, but, I can't put anything there by way of assets since it's a multi-storey open space... should I just leave the Space out so no one on the end thinks it's a usable space? or should I leave it in for some other reason (like making the overall sq ftge mesh better with the space inside that is accounted for?)?

Pardon the newb-like question on this one, but, I don't recall seeing this particular topic come up before.

Appreciate any thoughts / opinions on what methods have worked for others.

Cheers!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Accounting for Atriums?

My suggestion would be to leave the space empty.
    I do not know why you would need to assign any info. to that space except possibly for heating/cooling calculations.

In our facility we actually did an infill of an atrium area and created offices.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RTCADMAN View Post
    My suggestion would be to leave the space empty.
    I do not know why you would need to assign any info. to that space except possibly for heating/cooling calculations.

In our facility we actually did an infill of an atrium area and created offices.
    Thanks. That's what I've done so far, it's good to sort of hear that vetted.

Hmm, that would give us A LOT more space. But, of course, that's our newest building, so I'm sure we wouldn't do it.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I've asked this question several times to several vendors and have yet to see a good answer.

The way I see it is there is no method in FMD to handle BOMA Standard space assignments other than 'Assignable Space' (offices and cubicles). Although I don't want to assign 'Vertical Penetration' space, I still would like to see it accounted for. If nothing else it would give me a way to check for ommissions. That is, if I have a 150,000 sq. ft. building and my totals show 145,000 sq. ft., then I know that I have missed something.

Also, 'Building Common' (lobbies, loading docks, main mechanical rooms, atriums,etc) and 'Floor Common' (floor mechanical rooms, restrooms, floor specific conference rooms, etc.) are not assignable but may need to be billable to a department.

These items have little or nothing to do with assigning office/cubicle space but come into play if you are charging departments for their use of space where they would pay for actual space plus a percentage of the common areas.

I changed the field 'Space Family' to 'BOMA Type' in my database and use it to track these spaces. My project is still fairly new so I only have 'Assignable Space' entered so far. Without the other space types entered I can't tell if this is going to work or not.

I'm not sure if this long-winded answer helps or not. Short answer- If your only concerned with an atrium, I would leave it out since you can not assign that space.

William Avery

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I'm only on the 3rd floor of my first FMD project, and I've gotten to the point where I've created spaces for the entire floor (just under 150,000 sq ft) BUT, I haven't created Space Objects for the atriums.

I've got this huge patch of footprint, but, I can't put anything there by way of assets since it's a multi-storey open space... should I just leave the Space out so no one on the end thinks it's a usable space? or should I leave it in for some other reason (like making the overall sq ftge mesh better with the space inside that is accounted for?)?

Pardon the newb-like question on this one, but, I don't recall seeing this particular topic come up before.

Appreciate any thoughts / opinions on what methods have worked for others.

Cheers!

One more thought about atriums: Even though they show up on your floor plan, there is only one floor that actually has 'usable space' which is the bottom floor of the atrium. Floors above that only have air. I know this is common sense but it can be confusing when looking at a two dimensional drawing.

William Avery