Thread: Images, transparent and print problems

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Images, transparent and print problems

Hello,
    We're using AutoCAD Map 2004. We have a topography plan which is basically colour bands. We want to put a 'transparent' image of a map over the top of it so that we can see the colour bands underneath, but also still see the details of the map. This is normally no problem with black and white (bitonal) images and "Image transparency".

This time, the map image we have been given is a multiple colur map. We have discovered how to make this transparent and how to 'pick' the colour in the map which will be transparent (i.e. white). This works, so that in Model, floating model and paperspace we can see the topography colour bands beneath our colour map.

However, when we come to print preview or print, the image loses its transparency settings and blocks out the topography colour bands completely.... can anyone help? I can't find any settings to print transparent background anywhere...

Thanks in advance.
    Our pcs have 1Gb ram, Win2k, AutoCAD MAp 2004.
    Natasha

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Images, transparent and print problems

Would it help to send the image into the background, underneith the ACAD entities?

Login to Give a bone

I don't think so, because then the whole map would be underneath the topography colour bands (which are the autocad entities) which are solid colour and would obscure the map then?!

Or do I misinterpret what you're telling me?
    Natasha

Login to Give a bone

Maybe I'm lost in translation. Are you saying that your topography color bands are more than just contour lines? Is there space between the bands? If not, then the bands would cover over anything below.
    Last edited by Maverick91; 2004-09-23 at 04:48 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Images, transparent and print problems

I believe this is similar to this post.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=47417#post47417

Mike Perry also posted a link to AutoDesk soultions under this post.

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Yes, the topography bands are solid colour. Therefore there is no 'space' between the contour levels. i.e. red solid between 10m - 20m; orange solid between 20m - 30m; etc. We then attach an 'image' (which is a raster image of a map showing towns, roads etc). This blocks ot the colour bands so... We switch the image frame to on. Select the image frame and set transparency to 'ON'. For bitonal (black & white) raster image maps, this automatically removes the white background from the raster image map, leaving only the black lines for roads, towns etc. This raster image map is placed over the colour topography bands... with the result that the black roads and towns in the raster image map are seen over the top of the colour bands, and the colour bands are seen through the 'removed/transparent' white background.

Right.... the problem we had was with a multiple colour raster image map. We discovered how to make the background colour transparent. No problems, we could see the colour bands beneath the roads and towns on the colour raster image map, just as we would expect - in model, floating model and paper space.
    The problem was that the 'transparent' images weren't printing (or print previewing) as transparent even though they were transparent in Model, floating model and paper space.
    So we just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks,

NJ

Login to Give a bone

We didn't find an answer to our problem with that drawing. So we recreated the drawing again and now it prints out fine, with the image raster map set to transparent and sat over the top of our colour bands. It seems that something in the previous drawing had corrupted for printing and print-previewing.

Thanks for your time anyway.
    NJ