See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: transfer view templates

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default transfer view templates

i don't know if anyone has experienced not being able to transfer view templates between projects. i get a "Transfering project standards: Pasting Elements" at the bottom of the main window when i try and do the function but then nothing happens, there's no warning that any are duplicates or new and they don't come in. Is there a reason for this?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: transfer view templates

We get the same problem in our office. View Templates are such a powerful tool, and such a pain in the (insert your own anatomical part here) to set up. To have them not transfer brings extreme sadness or fury depending on which medication I'm taking.

Login to Give a bone

Does your View Template have settings for Revit Links that may not exist in the destination file possibly?

-LC

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    Does your View Template have settings for Revit Links that may not exist in the destination file possibly?

-LC
    Yes, both the source and destination projects have separate structural file links. I see where this is going and am getting uneasy. Can I just uncheck the visibility of the link on the "Revit Links" tab in Visibility Graphics? Or, do I need to remove the link using "Manage Links"? Please tell me it's the former and not the latter.

The problem we have is that since we are fairly new to Revit (who isn't?) that our View Templates are moving targets. We have one project at 50% CD and the View Templates are pretty solid. We have another project at 50% DD and we want to leverage what we developed in the first project, rather than having to re-invent the wheel.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sthedens View Post
    Yes, both the source and destination projects have separate structural file links. I see where this is going and am getting uneasy. Can I just uncheck the visibility of the link on the "Revit Links" tab in Visibility Graphics? Or, do I need to remove the link using "Manage Links"? Please tell me it's the former and not the latter.

The problem we have is that since we are fairly new to Revit (who isn't?) that our View Templates are moving targets. We have one project at 50% CD and the View Templates are pretty solid. We have another project at 50% DD and we want to leverage what we developed in the first project, rather than having to re-invent the wheel.
    Don't know how to solve your immediate problem. Try this for the future. Take and open your template file, and link in a "dummy" Strutural file, name "Structural". Create your Vire Templates (or possibly re-create), including the controls on the linked file. Then when you start another project, the view templates are set up. When you get a structural file for that new project, use the link manager to select the dummy, and reload from the real structural file. This will cause the view templates to "rename" the setting on the linked file to the new proper name.

I guess you could create a copy of the structural file in one project, temporarily naming it to the structural file in the other project in a different directory. Reload from the copy, they you should be able to transfer the View templates, and then reload from the proper file again.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thats good workaround for saving the view template overrides for the VG>RVT Links, but it would be great if (as a more permanant solution) Revit could get some "rule based" controls.

Copy Monitor could benefit from this, and VT's definetely could. For instance, the way Filters work. They look for a condition, and always apply a solution to it.

I would love to be able to go in a VT and say "If you see a RVT Link in the future, that is marked "structural" in a comments field, apply this RVT Link Override, etc. For CM, we could then not worry about the host consultant adding things (since CM is only good once youve done it to the object.) Id like to say "Copy all grids always," or "copy all toilets always"...

But i know it would get much too complicated very quickly.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've made a forum post about the status of this issue with a video showing the problem clearly. See http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autode...t/false#M60771

For just the video see: http://screencast.com/t/nfmwzffr7L
    Last edited by duncan; 2012-06-22 at 07:38 PM.