Thread: Masonry Wall Encap

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Masonry Wall Encap

I have run across this condition (see attached image) a few times, and have never been able to figure out the best way to deal with the endcap on the horizontal wall and get the components to clean up properly. My brain hurts from trying different PLINE arrangements for this endcap, so I felt compelled to throw this out for some help. What I am looking for is a reasonable way to get ACA to do this, It is not an uncommon condition in masonry cavity wall construction so I was hoping that someone else may have already invented this wheel. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Masonry Wall Encap

Off the top of my head, without actually trying it and assuming that the dashed red lines are your graph lines, I would suggest creating a second Wall Style that has the stud with airspace and brick on both sides, and set up a wrapping Wall Endcap Style for it. Then FILLET the two walls you already have (radius 0) and add a new Wall using the new style from the graph line intersection to get the bumpout. This assumes that your bumpout will always extend far enough to avoid cleanup problems because of overlapping components/insufficient space for the wrapping endcap.

Login to Give a bone

I often get burned when I do off-the-top-of-my-head replies, so I did a quick test using ADT 2004, and found that it does work, provided that the projection is such that the stud in the double-sided wall projects at least even with the face of brick in the perpendicular wall. That allows the endcap to be fully drawn. Anything less, and there will be a cleanup error - at least in 2004.

The attached file shows the condition working for a sample wall style with 8" studs, 2" air gap and 4" brick. I left the polylines I used to make the endcap for the double-sided wall in the file, just above a short segment of that wall style.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I got it to work too, although it took me a few tries to get the endcap for a 5-component wall setup properly. My pline config for the endcap is a little different than yours, but it seems to work. Thanks for the suggestion.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

It's not exactly as you wanted, but it was the best I could do in an hour. This one uses only the one wall style, but two endcaps.

The endcaps are for the condition shown, only. For different lengths, different endcaps must be drawn.

Note the thickened polylines. Polyline widths greater than 0 do not appear when converted to endcaps. This allows the spaces to bleed through.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham View Post
    It's not exactly as you wanted, but it was the best I could do in an hour. This one uses only the one wall style, but two endcaps.

The endcaps are for the condition shown, only. For different lengths, different endcaps must be drawn.

Note the thickened polylines. Polyline widths greater than 0 do not appear when converted to endcaps. This allows the spaces to bleed through.
    Thanks, CG. That's about as far as I got before my head started to hurt. DK's solution above worked pretty well for this condition. If the "bump" sticks out a smaller dimension than the air space + veneer components, then all bets are off as mentioned.