Thread: Linking Revit file & Elevation View

Login to Give a bone

Default Linking Revit file & Elevation View

Can someone please explain to me why when you link a revit file into another revit drawing you can get the plan view to show up exactly like the original file by using the "by linked view" toggle on the Revit Links tab of the Visibility/ Graphics Override.

Yet when you go to elevations that toggle is not available & you have to use the "custom " toggle to set things up the way you want to see them.

I can't see a reason for making the "by linked view" inactive in elevations. It makes for more work to get the linked elevation view to look like the original.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linking Revit file & Elevation View

first, what is the reason for using 2 Revit files to do this, this works fine if it is all in one place...

r

Login to Give a bone

The reason I'm linking the files is that there are multiple buildings on the site, & I want to put 2 of the building floor plans on 1 sheet. Same with the elevations. I draw each building in its own file so that it doesn't become too large & multiple people can work on the project.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

By Linked View works perfectly in Plan, Elevation, and Section, we are using them all currently.

Perhaps the elevations are not in the same plane or there is some other issue not allowing you to select the By Linked View option?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Linking Revit file & Elevation View

ok, see what you mean...
    haven't done this yet... the link method at least

we have done this with 2 buildings on the same plan but we just dropped elevation views all over the place and camera's for the perspectives...

or have you already tried all this...

r

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    By Linked View works perfectly in Plan, Elevation, and Section, we are using them all currently.

Perhaps the elevations are not in the same plane or there is some other issue not allowing you to select the By Linked View option?
    Hmmm....I'll have to spend some more time on it & find out why my elevations won't allow me to pick By Linked View. It works great for the plans, haven't tried the sections yet, but now that I know it works for someone else I'll try & figure out where I'm going wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Login to Give a bone

Is the file pretty small? Strip it down/purge it out and post it and we can take a look for you...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Great timing with this thread....we've been trying to find time to move our project up to RAC 2009, and it is becoming more important that we do so due to the inability to use linked sections/elevations in v2008. I'm sure it is a very simple process that I've plain overlooked...but could someone please enlighten us on how to make use of this new capability?

I'm assuming that the section cuts or elevation markers from the linked file need to be mimicked in the host file in order to set the linked view correctly. Is this true? Like the OP, we're comfortable with the VG overrides for linked plans.

The goal would be to dress up the sections or elevations using the linework tool as needed in the linked file, then bring into the host file where the documentation exists (campus/multiple bldg project).

Renfun....out of curiousity are you using RAC2008? That might explain the greyed out linked view toggle for the elevations.

- Jon

p.s. my bad, i see this was just discussed recently. will give it a try. http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=86336
    Last edited by kingjosiah; 2008-09-03 at 02:12 AM. Reason: added p.s.

Login to Give a bone

My problem was that I was in RAC 2008 with the greyed out toggle. I haven't upgraded this paticular project. When I tried it in 09 it worked. Sorry for not pointing out which version of Revit this project was in.

I know everyone is going to wonder why I haven't upgraded this project to 09, & it's just too important of a project for me to take a chance that I run into a glitch. The project is almost complete & everything looks & works just fine as is.

Thanks kingjosiah

Login to Give a bone

renfun-

Make a copy of the model, detach it from central, and then try upgrading it. That way you are sure to not compromise your position, but you may find that there are no glitches, or that they are extremely minor and will not hamper your ability to meet your deadlines.

My last project started in 2008, went through 2 upgrades in beta, then to 2009, and then to 2009 WU_1. While there were some minor issues, i can count the amount of time lost for ALL of those upgrades, in hours, on one hand.