Thread: Wall Studs

Login to Give a bone

Smile Wall Studs

I am new to dynamic blocks. Can anyone help me, I want to create a 75mm & 100mm stud partition in plan view, with 38mm x 75mm & 38mm x 100mm timbers set at 450mm centers.
    I hope you can help.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Wall Studs

Did you mean in Dynamic Blocks? We'll, can you make it on 2d dwg first?
    Last edited by archie.manza; 2008-09-28 at 08:40 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Studs

Here's one I drew up. I couldn't just explain how to do this without making one myself.
    It has one stud at each end of the wall, and an "array" for the infill studs.

First of all, you MUST have the Properties Pallette open, so you can edit attributes that you may not even know are in there.
    I started with two X-box stud representations, and two lines, at top & bottom.
    I applied a vertical "linear stretch" from zero to the top of the stud. You must then double-click the ! at the stretch action, and grab the top of the studs and both endpoints of the connecting line with a crossing box. Set the distance to a "list" of 75 & 100 only, because you only want the two sizes, not an infinite. Zero Grips on the distance parameter. I used a lookup to get the wall thickness size, instead of a grip.
    Make sure the lookup is set to "Allow reverse lookup". For some reason, whenever you alter these, they revert to "read only" . I can't imagine the purpose of a read-only lookup.

I then put in a horizontal array, of just the left stud, setting "columns" distance to 450.

Next is the horizontal stretch, including the second stud and the two horizontal lines, as well as the right end and the grip of the array stretch.

I found that I needed to set the origin point of the array off to the left of 0,0 in order to automatically get a stud in the last space before the last stud, as soon as it goes over 450+75. If you stretch the wall to the right, you get the infill studs, even without having a grip for the array.

Others may be able to improve on this, but I saw that you had gotten only one response, so here's mine. I have found that DB's are a seriously trial & error and re-trial accomplishment. I start by making the basics of a block and w-block it out. Then I start a blank drawing and insert the new block. Then I double-click on the block and futz with it in block editor, closing and re-opening it many times, until I get it right. this creates a new block definition with the same name, but only in the current drawing. You must w-block and overwrite the original block, in its original location.

If you ever futz with a DB after inserting it into another drawing, make SURE you w-block and overwrite the original, or you will possibly lost track of where you made all those nifty new features to your "baby".

Keep at it!

Frank
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by fkellogg View Post
    Here's one I drew up. I couldn't just explain how to do this without making one myself.
    It has one stud at each end of the wall, and an "array" for the infill studs.

First of all, you MUST have the Properties Pallette open, so you can edit attributes that you may not even know are in there.
    I started with two X-box stud representations, and two lines, at top & bottom.
    I applied a vertical "linear stretch" from zero to the top of the stud. You must then double-click the ! at the stretch action, and grab the top of the studs and both endpoints of the connecting line with a crossing box. Set the distance to a "list" of 75 & 100 only, because you only want the two sizes, not an infinite. Zero Grips on the distance parameter. I used a lookup to get the wall thickness size, instead of a grip.
    Make sure the lookup is set to "Allow reverse lookup". For some reason, whenever you alter these, they revert to "read only" . I can't imagine the purpose of a read-only lookup.

I then put in a horizontal array, of just the left stud, setting "columns" distance to 450.

Next is the horizontal stretch, including the second stud and the two horizontal lines, as well as the right end and the grip of the array stretch.

I found that I needed to set the origin point of the array off to the left of 0,0 in order to automatically get a stud in the last space before the last stud, as soon as it goes over 450+75. If you stretch the wall to the right, you get the infill studs, even without having a grip for the array.

Others may be able to improve on this, but I saw that you had gotten only one response, so here's mine. I have found that DB's are a seriously trial & error and re-trial accomplishment. I start by making the basics of a block and w-block it out. Then I start a blank drawing and insert the new block. Then I double-click on the block and futz with it in block editor, closing and re-opening it many times, until I get it right. this creates a new block definition with the same name, but only in the current drawing. You must w-block and overwrite the original block, in its original location.

If you ever futz with a DB after inserting it into another drawing, make SURE you w-block and overwrite the original, or you will possibly lost track of where you made all those nifty new features to your "baby".

Keep at it!

Frank
    Hi Frank
    Thanks for your reply, great help

Terence

Login to Give a bone

Great DB. Is there a way to convert this to Imperial? I have tried and have come up with nothing that even resembles a stud wall.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by maxdent View Post
    Great DB. Is there a way to convert this to Imperial? I have tried and have come up with nothing that even resembles a stud wall.
    you would have to scale all the objects in the block editor. Probably down from mm to inches, then change any references from mm to inches (ie 450mm change to 18")
    I would get rid of the Linear Parameter "Stud Array Length" and just add an Array to the "Wall Length".

Login to Give a bone

I created this quick one.

Can someone explain why it leaves such a large gap between the the last 2 studs on the right? It seems it they are about 2'-7 1/2" apart before it adds a stud in between. But it should add a stud as soon as the spacing is greater than 16" (+ stud width).

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

i tried creating something very similar to this! so thank you I am dissecting this now to what I need, I may even post my imperial metal stud version. Thanks fkellogg