Thread: Revit Tutorial for high rise buildings

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Tutorial for high rise buildings

I am looking for a Revit Tutorial (either book or video) with a focus on high rise buildings
    Specifically how to setup files with multiple repeating modules.
    Any help would be appreciated

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Tutorial for high rise buildings

Hi Sami,
    Follow an existing trail:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=1334

It has a nice Tutorial at the end and very important tips.

Welcome to the Forum!
    William.
    Last edited by william.lcampo; 2008-09-12 at 01:38 PM. Reason: It's my first post too... I just pressed POST before time :)

Login to Give a bone

sami, note that the thread referenced above is from 2003 and things have vastly improved since then. While the PDF at the end has some good basic tips Revit is now much more capable of dealing with Worksets and groups than the thread protrays.

For instance, we recently completed a project that had used worksharing predominantly rather than worksets and we got along just fine. You don't need a hundred worksets, just enough to segregate the areas of the building that someone could be working on and want to close out the rest of the building. We had a total of 6 worksets, three of them were site model, structural model, and grids & levels - so basically it was just three worksets. We also used nested groups for all the hotel rooms. Yes there are still bugs with the groups but we found that this was the best approach.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

thanks for your help.
    I am still a little confused on organizing all the files. I am assuming I shouldn’t use groups for everything. For example what do I do for the typical floor. Do I create a separate RVT file for each typical floor I have and then link them all to my main file?

regards,

Sami Kazemi
    Architect, OAA
    www.kazemi.ca

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    thanks for your help.
    I am still a little confused on organizing all the files. I am assuming I shouldn’t use groups for everything. For example what do I do for the typical floor. Do I create a separate RVT file for each typical floor I have and then link them all to my main file?

regards,

Sami Kazemi
    Architect, OAA
    www.kazemi.ca
    For the most part, you don’t want to create separate files when working with Revit. The foundation of the program is that it’s one file, one model. There are cases where you link in other file (such as the site, or with a campus type project) but there are other ways to control the size of your file and enhance performance while working on the project. In all reality, you’re asking for trouble if you create separate files for different floors and link them together (and that's too reminiscient of ADT/ACA.)

I think Groups are the answer for repeating units like office buildings or hotels. As far as training material on the subject; one option is the Autodesk Official Training Courseware (AOTC) for Advanced Revit. It has some decent lessons on groups, phasing, and sharing the model. I would also check out the archived ATP courses as well as past years AU Handouts for information about groups, but also enhancing the perofmance of the model as you work in it, i.e. only opening the worksets that your working with, etc.