Thread: generic annotations

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default generic annotations

i'm updating some families. alot of our electrical symbols consist of a small box with two letters in it, flow switch FS, tamper switch TS, etc. the physical model is pretty much just a flush mounted 4" square box. in plan, there's an annotation family inserted with a parameter for the type which changes the label to match the letters with the name. that all works fine. the trouble i'm having is when i exported this particular job to autocad for a consultant to use, i got some layering issues i wasn't expecting. i have a fire alarm box, as listed above, there is a security box, which has CR for card reader, and ES for electric strike, etc. each of these is on it's proper family category and behaves correctly in my visualization settings in Revit... until i export the power view to autocad. all of these boxes get exported on the generic annotation layer, because it's the annotation symbol that is showing in the power plan. so i can't turn off fire alarm or security separately, or change their colors to be different... silly autocad and it's color dependancy... so i thought i could fix this really easily, i opened the family, verified that it was set to the proper category. then opened the annotation family, which was set to generic annotation, and tried setting it to security device, which wasn't an option. so i set it to security device tag, so at least it would be on a layer that had security in the name. but it won't let me import it into the symbol family. it says i can only import generic annotation category symbols into the family. any reasons for this? or is there some better way of getting the results i want? or can we just make everyone stop using autocad? which would eliminate this problem...

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: generic annotations

Create a sub-category (object style) for the annotation. In the generic family go to object styles..new and create a security/fire/whatever category. The select the line and change their types to the new catgeory.
    HTH
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: generic annotations

i'll give that a try when i get time, thanks!