Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building performance analysis with Revit

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Building performance analysis with Revit

FWIW I've just also just spent several hours trying the same thing with no success on a new, simple Revit 2009 project.

I watched a demonstration of the full IES package at a 'BIM Working Group' meeting, the other day and have a demo disk, but I started as IES suggest with the basic free Revit plug-in.

The white paper can be accessed from the IES<VE> menu in Revit by clicking the 'model guidance' option.

After carefully working through all the things that could be wrong the 'Set Model Properties' command on the IES toolbar still keeps returning an error to the effect that there are no bounded spaces in the project, even though this is just a single room with walls, floorslab and roof, all set as room bounding etc.
    I've also trawled the IES forums, the IES FAQ list etc.

Ho hum.

IMHO the bewildering array of module options offered by IES and the lack of any pricing information is irritating enough but spending more time on transferring the project successfully into IES' product than actually modelling the design isn't going to win it many friends among Revit Architecture users soon, or at all.

It all feels unfinished - at least from a Revit user's perspective. Maybe the Sketchup version of the plug-in is a better bet?

There was speculation at the event I attended about what Autodesk was going to do with Ecotect, recently purchased. Maybe some proper integration with such as Revit?

edit/ PS - the Revit plug-in doesn't seem to work with Revit 64

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ws View Post
    After carefully working through all the things that could be wrong the 'Set Model Properties' command on the IES toolbar still keeps returning an error to the effect that there are no bounded spaces in the project, even though this is just a single room with walls, floorslab and roof, all set as room bounding etc.
    I've also trawled the IES forums, the IES FAQ list etc.
    Hi there,

It sounds like the problems you are having using Revit 2009 to export the model is that in MEP 2009 Spaces are required (where in MEP 2008 you had Room elements). You may need to define Spaces on the model, these can be placed by selecting the button on the Mechanical tab.

I believe Kyle has blogged about the change to use Spaces instead of Rooms and there are probably a few threads on this forum too that could give you a little more info on this.

That would be my first reaction when the "no bounded spaces" message is displayed but if you do already have spaces in the model then I apologise.

Should have added here also, IES will be releasing a version of the plugin compatible with 64-bit Revit soon (it is currently in the final stages of testing)
    Last edited by IES Technical Support; 2008-11-13 at 05:25 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply.

You may well be right and I'll look back again at Kyle's blog.

I don't have Revit MEP, just Architecture.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by IES Technical Support View Post
    Hi there,

It sounds like the problems you are having using Revit 2009 to export the model is that in MEP 2009 Spaces are required (where in MEP 2008 you had Room elements). You may need to define Spaces on the model, these can be placed by selecting the button on the Mechanical tab.

I believe Kyle has blogged about the change to use Spaces instead of Rooms and there are probably a few threads on this forum too that could give you a little more info on this.

That would be my first reaction when the "no bounded spaces" message is displayed but if you do already have spaces in the model then I apologise.

Should have added here also, IES will be releasing a version of the plugin compatible with 64-bit Revit soon (it is currently in the final stages of testing)

Revit Architecture does not have space objects. if using Revit Architecture you still need to define room objects. The room objects in Revit Architecture will create spaces in a gbXML analitical model.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the clarification Jeff.

I'll keep plugging away at trying to make it work - they say you learn more from having problems

Login to Give a bone

If the file is small (under 10mb) you can e-mail it to me to take a look at. I can see if I can get it working. I just was at a 2 day training for GBS. Maybe I can put some of that knowledge to work.

jeffDOThansonATautodeskDOTcom

Login to Give a bone

Jeff,

that is very kind of you.

I'll email the very simple test file across and see what you make of it.

Login to Give a bone

You're right there are no Spaces in Revit Architecture (I had guessed you may be using MEP 2009).

I'll wait for Jeff's comments on the test project but if you would like to email it to me (just use supportATiesveDOTcom) I could take a look at this as well and add any comments to this thread?

Phil

Login to Give a bone

I looked the file. It seems to be somethign related to the template file being used. I was able to cut and paste the geometry into a file started form a default template and it exported correctly. I aslo tried creating something from scratch using William's template and got the same error messages he was seeing. I even tried bringing in geometry I knew worked inot a project started from his template with no success.

I don't know enough about "how" the gbXML file is created to know what in the template is preventing it from exporting correctly. I suggested it be sent to support so development could take a closer look at the issue.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the update Jeff.

If a solution is indeed found by Autodesk support can someone please share it on this thread for future reference.

Thanks,
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast