Thread: How do I make a decent looking Wall Section in Revit?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default How do I make a decent looking Wall Section in Revit?

I'm new to Revit & AUGI, but I'm an architect who's been reading, studying, lurking for awhile and I've been doing 3D AutoCAD/Sketchup/Facade models for the past 18 years.

I asked my "Revit Evangelist" instructor these questions, but he said he didn't know off hand and told me to e-mail him and he'd answer me, which he never did, so now I'm here as a 2nd or 3rd resort. I've got 3 books on Revit Architecture (Autodestk Revit Arch 2009, Mastering Revit Architecture 2008 & Revit Architecture 2009 Fundamentals) and I have yet to see a decent looking Wall Section drawn in Revit.

When I make wall sections in Revit Architecture they look pretty primitive.

For instance the eaves are the same depth as the roof/ceiling in Revit.

Say for instance if I have a 24" deep Truss Joist filled with insulation, with a hard lid on the interior and an 8" outrigger at the Eave.(similar to the attached eave detail I did in AutoCAD)

Also, on a masonry building we always show a 2" brick ledge, where our brick veneer continues down 2" below the Finish Floor at the first floor, but the wall types always seem to stop at the 1st floor level and I can't get them to show a veneer that goes down below the first floor. (Similar to the attached footing detail I did in AutoCAD)

Is this just one of the limitations of Revit I have to work around or how do I illustrate that in section?

The other problem I'm having is with door openings.
    When I draw a door I need to show the 2" frames on either side and on top of the door, since masonry units are important when doing a masonry building.

I found a routine that will add door frames, but the problem is that when I insert a 3'-0" x 7'-0" door it makes a 3'-0" x 7'-0" opening. If I want the opening to be 3'-4" x 7'-2" then it shows up on the door schedule as a 3'-4" x 7'-2" door. Anybody got a solution for that?

Thanks in advance,

Stan
    Attached Files Attached Files