Thread: NEW WISH: nested family void to cut geometry in the family that it is nested in

Cool NEW WISH: nested family void to cut geometry in the family that it is nested in

I wish it was possible for a nested family void to cut geometry in the family that it is nested in. Even better if a void from one family could be set to cut another family.

This has come up as I am trying to create a countertop family with multiple sink holes (and adjustable). Circles and ellipses (especially ellipses) tend to be a pain in the #((%* to get to behave, and even more so when you have them in an array. If I could just make an adjustable circular or elliptical void and then nest it and array that family it would work just fine.

The best solution I think would be if you could put a void in the sink families (telling it not to cut the geometry in that family of course) and just load that into the project and use the cut geometry tool to tell it to cut the countertop. That would allow limitless possibilities and would be the most intuitive IMHO.

Any thoughts? If this can already be done, feel free to laugh at me and tell me the secret

Default Re: NEW WISH: nested family void to cut geometry in the family that it is nested in

I've felt the need for that feature recently. Would've come in handy creating the glass block window, and getting the joints to show joined to each other.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar

Default Re: NEW WISH: nested family void to cut geometry in the family that it is nested in

Did you know that a void can be told to cut a solid - even if the two don't actually touch each other? Therein is one possibility...

See attached. All the voids have been paramitized to lengthen (and in doing so cut their host).

Hope it's not too confusing!

-Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Phil Read; 2004-09-29 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks Phil,

But i need the ability to array and modify the size of the void as i do a solid and then be able to nest it and still have it cut the new geometry or other nested geometry...
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Interesting, that may be able to work, I'll play with it. It still would seem to be much more difficult than it needs to be. I still hold the initial wish, but thanks for the idea for now!