Thread: Wall Styles

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall Styles

When we create a wall style with different materials, like a masonry wall with Gyp. Bd. is there a way to control the height of each material independently of each other. Example; we want to have masonry go up to the Top of Parapet height like 20' and the gyp. bd to go up 4" above the ceiling, like 9'-4". is there a way in section to do this? any help would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Styles

You can go into the wall properties and unlock the layers so that you can drag certain wall layers past other layers.
    I will try and post more detail later.

Login to Give a bone

So i went into the element properties of a wall I am working with, and unlocked all the layers, but when I go into section, I am not able to select each layer individually. also, when I go to element properties, and try to change the Top Extension Distance, and the whole wall moves that distance. Is there a step I am missing in this? Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Edit wall style. (Make sure that the preview of the wall is set to Section view.)
    Click on the 'Modify' button and then you can click on the top or bottom of each wall layer to lock or unlock that layer.

Now go back to your section view, select the wall and blue arrows should appear allowing you to stretch that layer to wherever you want it to.

Image attached.

Note:
    - This stretches the wall layer for each individual wall.
    - Generally works best if you want to stretch 1 layer. When unlocking various layers Revit will give you a warning that layers being unlocked need to be adjacent.
    (I have managed to stretch inside finish and outside finish at same time BUT only by unlocking the core layer and stretching that).
    - If you want to do this for a particular view for detailing purposes i.e you do not need it modelled in 3D consider using the 'Edit cut profile' command, details of how to use are in the help file.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

There is only one top or bottom extension distance, and you can only unlock adjacent layers, which will be controlled by that extension distance parameter. You can't control non-adjacent layers separately at either the top or bottom of the wall.

In your case I would probably build the parapet wall as a separate wall type, using either a separate wall altogether or a stacked wall (although I'm personally not fond of stacked walls). Then control the top of your sheetrock layer with the extension distance. However you will have to specify a negative extension distance below the top of your wall, instead of a height above the floor.

You could also make the sheetrock its own wall type, and join that to your exterior walls so that doors and windows cut properly.

Login to Give a bone

Michael,

As you stated changing the top offset distance will change the height of the whole wall.
    You need to click on the wall in section zoom in and you will see a blue arrow which you have to manually stretch to the desired location.

Login to Give a bone

for whatever reason I am not getting the result I am looking, and I am looking to stay away from stacked walls. attached is a Revit file with a simple wall, that I have unlocked layers on, but am still able to move each layer independently of each other. please have a look, and let me know if I am doing something incorrect. thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hmm... I just did it. See attached image. Do as Mies suggested, by pulling the blue arrows.

Andre Carvalho
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I got it figured out, i wasnt getting that you had to have either the locked or unlocked items next to each other. on that example, I had a center that would stay locked, and the two outer layers that i was trying to unlock and move independently that was not workig. thanks for the help.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael91077 View Post
    I got it figured out, i wasnt getting that you had to have either the locked or unlocked items next to each other. on that example, I had a center that would stay locked, and the two outer layers that i was trying to unlock and move independently that was not workig. thanks for the help.
    Yeah. As Patrick mentioned in his post above, the layers have to be adjacent.

Andre Carvalho