Thread: Setting a 3D template -AutoCAD 09

Login to Give a bone

Question Setting a 3D template -AutoCAD 09

So far I have only worked with civil 3d-09 for one job.

Numerous hours were spent setting up various styles, layers, and general adjustment to the settings, regarding the surface, alignment, profile, assembly and corridor.

I was wondering if there is a way to set up a template that saves all my firms general settings, layer colors, ect...so I don't have to redefine everything each time a new job starts.

Ideally I am picturing a base template file with the 3d settings saved into it. Is this possible. For example, I have surface coutours set to a standard color in one drawing, can this be transferred to another base file and saved?

Thanks,

-Bill

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Setting a 3D template -AutoCAD 09

You mean you don't use templates to set up your drawings?
    It's very simple, especially since you have drawings already set up from that job you've done on 2009.
    Open up a clean drawing, as well as one of the drawings with the styles you want in your template. Go into the settings tab in your Tool Space palette and go to the setting of your object (i.e. surface) and drag and drop it into the clean drawing (the clean drawing has to be current). After you're done transfering your styles and layers, do a save as and save it as a .dwt file.
    Oh, and if you have a drawing with all of your layers, you can insert it as a block, but when it asks for an insertion point, cancel out of it. This will transfer your layers to the furture .dwt file, just make sure you select the box that allows you to pick where you want the block in your drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Well, this first job we jumped right into without a template. From now on we'll definitely be using one. Thank you, seems like the process isn't going to be as painfull as I initally though.

Out of curiosity, will the template not work if it is saved as a .dwg ?

Login to Give a bone

After you drag and drop all your object and label styles you will need to manually edit all of the drawing and command settings in the template.

A template can be saved as a DWG file but when you start a new drawing you are prompted for a DWT file. You can also set the default DWT file used by QNEW in the options. I would recommend saving it as a DWT.