Thread: Re-order Parameters

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re-order Parameters

What is the secret to sorting parameters when building a family?

For instance:

I have two parameters within a group whose order is reverse of what I want. I have tried creating in 1 then 2, 2 then 1... either way, Revit insists on keeping them in the order of Window2, Window1. (jpg attached)

There are other times when I'd like to specify parameter order within a Type Group and cannot.

What's the deal?

_____
    suGGs
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Re-order Parameters

Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=38994

See the Scott Hopkings PDF about how to deal with that.

Andre Carvalho

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If they already exist then the post Andre pointed to will help. If you haven't made them yet then you can also take this approach. Make several generically named parameters. You do have to be careful about which data type but it is easy if they are all length for example. Assume you need four parameters, create AAAA, AAA, AA and A. Now you have four parameters that Revit has sorted in its own way. Now you can edit them and rename them so that they appear the way you wanted them in the first place.

Sorry...no this is useless with Shared Parameters.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    If they already exist then the post Andre pointed to will help. If you haven't made them yet then you can also take this approach. Make several generically named parameters. You do have to be careful about which data type but it is easy if they are all length for example. Assume you need four parameters, create AAAA, AAA, AA and A. Now you have four parameters that Revit has sorted in its own way. Now you can edit them and rename them so that they appear the way you wanted them in the first place.

Sorry...no this is useless with Shared Parameters.
    Also, even after you get them ordered, some parameters will change location. For instance, if you make a family, then make several different types, and save to disk. Close, and reload the family. Now in the blank assembly code file, enter a value. It will change its order within the paramter group in the family.

I realize it would be good to get the parameters in a given order. But personnally, I think its a success to get people to stop putting all parameters in the "Other" category, and tp have some of the more complicated families work at all. I guess that ordering the parameters for user ease in use, is somewhere below those other two priorities.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdsuggs View Post
    What is the secret to sorting parameters when building a family?
    Vote for it on the Wish List and file a Support Request that you need this feature.

But seriously folks, everything we can suggest here is just a work-around.
    This is a feature that we REALLY need to have in the Familiy Editor.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    Also, even after you get them ordered, some parameters will change location. For instance, if you make a family, then make several different types, and save to disk. Close, and reload the family. Now in the blank assembly code file, enter a value. It will change its order within the paramter group in the family.

I realize it would be good to get the parameters in a given order. But personnally, I think its a success to get people to stop putting all parameters in the "Other" category, and tp have some of the more complicated families work at all. I guess that ordering the parameters for user ease in use, is somewhere below those other two priorities.
    I like to think that if we have clean, clear families in the Library, users are more likely to follow suit when building their own. Especially if they can use these as a jumping point. Of course, their willingness depends on the culture of the firm. Perhaps I'm lucky.

Interesting what you say about the order changing on you. I'll keep my eye out.
    Last edited by cdsuggs; 2008-09-26 at 09:44 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Vote for it on the Wish List and file a Support Request that you need this feature.

But seriously folks, everything we can suggest here is just a work-around.
    This is a feature that we REALLY need to have in the Familiy Editor.

Great idea! Thanks for the nudge.