Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof with flare at eaves - How would YOU do it?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Roof with flare at eaves - How would YOU do it?

True, you have to draw closed loops - but it´s possible anyway, just unmark the "defines slope" option, for those lines which is not at a "gutter edge"
    (Sorry, not sure how to explain this in prober english, but see atachment - hopefully that´ll give you an idea)
    Last edited by Munkholm; 2011-01-10 at 08:43 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks.

The difference here is that the flare is curved.

I'm making some progress. I used an in place family for the curved flare. I suppose that I could have used masses and roof by face for this. In fact, in one place where the roof has to overrun the flare and the fascia dies into the flare, this is what I did.

I will post some progress.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Had a couple of minutes to play with the idea...

Does it comes close to what you are looking for?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lewerim View Post
    Had a couple of minutes to play with the idea...

Does it comes close to what you are looking for?
    Thank You, Very very close.

Mine is complicated in a couple of places though. The main hip in interrupted on one corner by the entry gables. Where the main roof is 10ft. the entry is 12ft. It's like a regular hip by footprint but on one corner the eave has to change to 12'.

Lewerim, what method did you use for this?

Thanks again.

Login to Give a bone

Lewerim:
    Did you sweep the curved portion around the perimeter? I was going to suggest that it makes more sense to build the roof and then swep the curved part because it would more accurately reflect how the roof needs to be built. The rafters of the hip roof need to sit on a top plate and then the sweep is framed out of rafter extensions/ and sleepers. I would model the roof with no overhang and then sweep the eave around the perimeter.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yep. I modeled the roof>by footprint.
    Created an in-place family (category roof) Created a sweep that the path is the edge of the roof.
    To get rid of the "join" line between the two roofs, I (hangs head) used the linework tool and invisible lines. I couldn't get the roofs to "join" though.

Login to Give a bone

Here's where I got to.

The curved flare is a sweep. It's an in place family now, and I need to be able to put a fascia on it, so I'm looking for a way to convert it to a roof. Afterall, it's the same solid modelling tools that make it. Should be possible right? I get "can't copy between family and project" If I try to paste it in as a mass. Must be another way.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mhowson View Post
    Here's where I got to.

The curved flare is a sweep. It's an in place family now, and I need to be able to put a fascia on it, so I'm looking for a way to convert it to a roof. Afterall, it's the same solid modelling tools that make it. Should be possible right? I get "can't copy between family and project" If I try to paste it in as a mass. Must be another way.

So, I selected the in-place family>clicked edit> selected the sweep and copied the sweep (not the inplace family, that wouldn't copy and paste between family and project, but the sweep would.)

Opened a new family <Mass> template and pasted it in. It didn't show up. By chance, I clicked <place mass> in the design bar and it said "no mass loaded. would you like to load"

What I noticed was that the sweep showed up then. So I clicked <No>

I don't know why it worked, but it did, and I was able to reproduce it. I loaded that into the project and then created a roof by face from it.

In the second picture below the RED arrow points to the new roof by face, the Blue to the Mass component family, and the black to the generic roof object.

I'm still playing with it though. This is a good one!

Login to Give a bone

The other problems I'm having is when trying to attached the gable/dormer parts, they won't join if they're flush fasia to fascia, or if a a roof plane is aligned; ie the same plane.

I'm still not getting a result that I can section neatly. Fascias stick though, there are parts of roof underneath that don't belong. I don't have any more time to waste modelling the roof on this one. I'm either going to have to draw over everything with lines in 2d or go out into autocad.

I want to believe in revit, but this roof is simple by our standards. The modelling tools are behind the current standard in the industry. Right now it feels like it's a struggle to do things that are not rectilinear with flat or simple roofs.

Another struggle with roofs is that we have stepped fascia details where the sheathing overhangs and is clad with a metal drip edge. It looks to me like in revit I need to be able to do two roofs (or is it rooves?). I want to show the top chord as part of the roof. I need the sheathing to overhang and I'll do the bottom chord as part of the ceiling I suppose. I'm having trouble with the location line for the roof too. I assume that if I modelled the roof from the face of a mass, that face is the location line. If I've done a roof by footprint, can I control if the roof goes up or down from the footprint? Rightnow my roofs are just sheathing located on the exterior face of sheathing. If I change them to a roof assembly thickness, they jump around and screw up the dormer openings.

I know one of the phases of Revit Userhood says, "you know what Revit likes and doesn't like" but I can't change designs because Revit doesn't like modelling that. The boss signs the paycheques and if he likes gables with flush fascias, I have to be able to do it, even if Revit doesn't like doing it. One of the dangers I've been warned about is a BIM tool beginning to dicate design. Sorry, nearing the seventh hour of fighting the software to get this roof done ....again.... and I'm going off on rants.

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Well, I got this far (see pic)

Not sure about some of the problems your having. Roofs (and it IS roofs ), especially this kind of roof, are hard in Revit. But then this kind of roof is hard in AR (actual reality.) I started out swinging a hammer and this kind of roof is far more involved to build, so it stands to reason that it is more involved to model. That said, after you build a few of thsese (in either VR or AR) you get good at it and you can pull it off like it's no big deal. THAT's the secret of craftsmanship... Skill and knowledge are the sum of your experience and experince is the sum of your mistakes and struggles....

That doesn't solve your problem, but don't get discouraged and throw in the Revit towel yet...

Have a cold one and come back to it later.
    Last edited by lewerim; 2008-10-09 at 08:21 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast