Thread: DIMSTYLE changes?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default DIMSTYLE changes?

We have some dimstyles that are used with most of our drawings. Here's the problem/change. Two different machines, one running 2008, this one 2009. Same Drawing (one dwg on local drive, other on network drive), same DIMSTYLE, same settings. In the 2008 version, I can grab the ext. line grip and move the dimension line along with the text which is convenient for when I overlay another drawing and have a hard time reading the numbers of the dim line because it's covered by an object. Fit seems to be the key. My settings on both machines as I said are the same.

Fit Options - Always keep text between ext lines
    Text Placement - Over Dimension line, with leader

A lot of times, the dim is too (e.g. 1 1/2") small to allow the numbers to be between the ext lines so I like to grab the numbers and move them where they can easily be read with a leader. Other times, I have to grab the dim ext grip and stretch the dim so that the numbers can be read clearly because of an object overlay. It all works fine in 2008, but the same DimStyle has changed so that it will leave the text sitting and add a leader. So I tried this. New drawing, both machines. Standard DimStyle. All Default Settings except...

- Text Placement -
    When Text is not in the DEFAULT position, place it:
    Over Dimension Line, with Leader

I created a horizontal dimension line, moved the ext grip up and down, the text stayed between the ext lines like it's supposed to. Then I grabbed the text and moved it above and below the dim line, it created the leader no problem. Here's the difference.... In the 2008 Version, I could place the text back into the Default Position (Midpoint) and the text would move with the dim line again as I wanted it to. In the 2009 Version, placing the text back in the default position doesn't seem to work. No matter if I have OSnap of Midpoint set, I believe it's no longer considered the Default Text position, and now the text stays in place and adds a leader unless I manually go in to properties and make the changes....how utterly annoying. Does anyone know how to get the old method to work again? I have hundreds of dimensions to work with daily.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DIMSTYLE changes?

Quote Originally Posted by kane333 View Post
    ... Does anyone know how to get the old method to work again? I have hundreds of dimensions to work with daily.
    Nope. I'm not sure if you can, but you can go about it another way. You can do 1 of 2 things:
    1. right click on the dimension, then select Dim Text Position, and select Home Text.

Or

2. Add the shortcut to your PGP file. At the end of the PGP file, where you add all your custom shortcuts, I set mine to HT. Add this line and change HT to whatever you want your shortcut to be:
    HT, *ai_dim_texthome

Then, save it. Type REINIT at the command line in ACAD, check PGP, and hit okay. This will reload your PGP file so the change will take effect. Now, just select your dimension, type HT and hit enter. Once you get used to it, it will be quicker than manually moving it.