Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make revit take into account dimensions of bricks when drawing a wall?!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to make revit take into account dimensions of bricks when drawing a wall?!

How to make revit take into account dimensions of bricks when drawing a wall?!

Ok, let me elaborate, Most of you know that when using bricks on a facade requires quite a bit of "pre-dimensioning" in the design stage... especially corner and window areas. Is there are way to make revit "snap" to certain distances when using a certain kind of wall?

(normally you would make sure you dimension the walls as multiples of half the size of the brick... with different strategies depending on the design)

What is the best way/workflow to do it?
    Last edited by samov; 2008-10-09 at 12:25 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to make revit take into account dimensions of bricks when drawing a wall?!

Quote Originally Posted by samov View Post
    How to make revit take into account dimensions of bricks when drawing a wall?!

Ok, let me elaborate, Most of you know that when using bricks on a facede requires quite a bit of "pre-dimensioning" in the design stage... especially corner and window areas. Is there are way to make revit "snap" to certain distances when using a certain kind of wall?

(normally you would make sure you dimension the walls as multiples of half the size of the brick... with different strategies depending on the design)

What is the best way/workflow to do it?
    In actual construction, the contructor only need to know if its gonna be mark centered or side of the brick on site. I believe Revit have this rule imbedded already. With this in mind, your design process will proceed accordingly.

I could stop if I wanted to mruehr's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to make revit take into account dimensions of bricks when drawing a wall?!

i dont know what Brick Dimension system you use
    but here in Western Australia the best i could do when using Face Brick
    is draw the Walls and use the temorary dimensions(or Dimensions) to type in the Brick Dimensions from a coursing chart
    We set the windows up as per Coursing Table(Openings)
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Given the myriad possible ways of laying bricks, and the ways of getting those coursing patterns to go round corners, you'd have a hard time creating a sane 'snap' system, IMO.

Best to dimension it as you go and check the bricks times table, as always

Login to Give a bone

FWIW Nemetschek's Allplan has had this feature for years, whereby you can set a unit length plus joint for creating new walls. It seemed a good idea initially but as others imply it can be endlessly fiddly and quite quickly I gave up on using it.

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Of course it is always good practice to work in the masonry modules but it is more important in case of concrete blocks. Mainly because they are larger, therefore have fewer mortar gaps (perpends) between them so there is smaller chance to "neutralize" any differences with varying gaps' widths.

To help me position the openings in a face mortar wall (mainly concrete blocks) I created a very accurate hatch pattern (both for bricks and concrete blocks) that includes mortar joints and after initially positioning my doors and windows in a generally desired place I go to elevation views and allign my openings to the modules. Quick and easy.

Login to Give a bone

I've been using the work plane for block modules. Setting the grid pattern to 8" allows me to use the grid when laying out walls. It has worked relatively well so far, see attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to nole's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Setting a Length dimension snap increments to dimension of the brick (plus whatever You need) can be helpful in this case.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jetisart View Post
    Of course it is always good practice to work in the masonry modules but it is more important in case of concrete blocks. Mainly because they are larger, therefore have fewer mortar gaps (perpends) between them so there is smaller chance to "neutralize" any differences with varying gaps' widths.

To help me position the openings in a face mortar wall (mainly concrete blocks) I created a very accurate hatch pattern (both for bricks and concrete blocks) that includes mortar joints and after initially positioning my doors and windows in a generally desired place I go to elevation views and allign my openings to the modules. Quick and easy.
    Thank you for your advice. I have manually learned how to create a model pattern and spent 1-2 hours alinging everything. Everything is "perfect". One question remains: How exact do i get them to show up in section views and plans... I can only select drafting patterns... which is understandable since i these views are scale dependent... So my assumption is that i do this in detail callouts....?!

Quote Originally Posted by mcuevas View Post
    I've been using the work plane for block modules. Setting the grid pattern to 8" allows me to use the grid when laying out walls. It has worked relatively well so far, see attached image.
    OH... finally a VERY good reason to use grids... i personally never ever ever used a grid before. But a nice technique. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nole View Post
    Setting a Length dimension snap increments to dimension of the brick (plus whatever You need) can be helpful in this case.
    I think this should be used in together with the Grids technique stated above.
    At first I had trouble understanding your answer ... but the bold text helped and i checked the help:

Setting Snap Increments
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you place an element or component in a project view, it snaps to set dimension increments. For example, when you are sketching a wall and move the cursor from left to right in the drawing area, you see the dimensions for the wall increase according to the defined length dimension snap increments.

Likewise, when you place an element by an angle, angle snap dimensions increase according to the defined angle
    dimension snap increments.
    You can define multiple length and angle snap increments since increments change as you change your zoom level (the closer you zoom in, the smaller the increment; the further you zoom out, the larger the
    increment).

To set snap increments:

1. Click Settings menu Snaps.
    2. Select Length dimension snap increments and Angular dimension snap increments to turn on the
    snaps.
    3. Enter the snapping increment values, separating increments with semicolons. There is no limit to the
    number of increments you can specify.
    4. Click OK.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by samov; 2008-10-09 at 09:39 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by samov View Post
    ... I can only select drafting patterns... which is understandable since i these views are scale dependent... So my assumption is that i do this in detail callouts....?
    The intended work-flow is to place Drafting Components over-top of the sections/ Enlarged callouts. You can use Repeating details to place brick overtop of the entire section, with essentially only two mouse picks.

Think about the issue, if the walls were to properly display coursing in sections, you'd have to define brick size, block size, starting course size, etc. when defining walls. Personally, I can do without that complexity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast