Thread: Linking Revit Architecture file with Revit Structural File

Login to Give a bone

Default Linking Revit Architecture file with Revit Structural File

I'm trying to link a Revit Architecture 2009 file to Revit Structural 2009. The arch file has the building in its completed form, I'm starting the structural file from scratch. I tried following Autodesk PDF on Coordination between Revit Structure and Revit Architecture. When I link the model to my Structural file, I only get to see the model in 3D view. I don't see it in plan or any other view. I can't seem to edit the beams, columns etc...am I even allowed to do this.

What am I missing? Could anyone help me out? I need some easy to follow instructions, I'm very new to this Linking Revit models.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linking Revit Architecture file with Revit Structural File

Are these two models sharing coordinates? Or did you linked the architectural by using what: center to center, origin to origin, shared coordinates? Maybe your linked file is not placed at the same spot as the structural (maybe too high) and therefore you can't see it in plan (only in 3D because that view shows a bigger scope).

Also, make sure that your plan views have their discipline set to coordination. If it is set to structural, you can't see architectural elements. To set it to coordination, go to the view properties and change "Discipline".

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Linking Revit Architecture file with Revit Structural File

The structural model is starting from scratch so I just used the Origin to Origin setting when linking the file.

Could it be settings in the file the Arch sent me? Should I put all their elements on Coordination? What happens when I have to update the model?

As you can tell I'm completely new to this part of Revit...along with a lot of other parts as well.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kshimoka View Post
    The structural model is starting from scratch so I just used the Origin to Origin setting when linking the file.

Could it be settings in the file the Arch sent me? Should I put all their elements on Coordination? What happens when I have to update the model?

As you can tell I'm completely new to this part of Revit...along with a lot of other parts as well.
    No, you don't have to change the architectural file. Just import it. You can import the architectural file using the center to center option, position it in the screen and then Acquire the coordinates from the linked file. This will make sure that your structural file shares coordinates with the architectural. If when linking by using center you still can't see the architectural model in plan, try turning off crop region on that view.

Andre Carvalho

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

On a slightly related topic, what kind of performance are you guys seeing with linked models and what kind of horsepower are you running?
    I'm dealing with link from our structural team in RS and another arch firm is supplying the interior in RA, and we are handling the building shell and vert circulation in RA. I've got a fairly sporty machine and haven't noticed much pain but I'm curious how other are treating outside linked models because I'm seeing some chunkiness. We are getting copies of central files (ultimately detached local files) to link in, is there a way to clean up these files so they are as lean as possible when we link them to ours to coordinate everything? Show of the guys on my team are running on older systems and its painful the amount of hang time they are dealing with for routine pan/zoom functions.
    Any input is much appreciated,
    Thanks all

Login to Give a bone

I have found a little bug when doing the import the other way (Structural to Architectural). One of the users I support took the structural file (actually 4 files) and was binding the 4 together, would save the structural file and then try to load it into the architectural. It would show in 3D but there would be nothing in plans. Strange that you would see no columns in plan when you see them in 3D.

The cause that I determined was that he was doing the bind process in a 3D view. When done in any plan view the file would then show correct when imported to our architectural file.

Hope this helps!