See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Wall Hosted Families to Generic Model Families

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Wall Hosted Families to Generic Model Families

Is there any way to change the faily type from "Wall Hsoted" to "Generic Model"? I initially made a louver in a Generic Model family and it seemed to work ok, but I figured it would work better if I made it a wall hosted family. It seemed like a good idea seeing how the proejct is a 12 story building with somewhere in the ball park of 100 louvers. The initial thought was to make an array parameter within a Wall Hosted family. Turns out... Wall hosted families do NOT snap to a Curtain Wall or Storefront.

Is there anyway to import to a generic model family or change the designation of the family type without losing all the work I've put into this thing?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall Hosted Families to Generic Model Families

No. There's no easy way. Usually it is a good idea to keep as generic models AND then host into a wall based family. That way you keep your generic model intact.

What you can do now, is to select one of the panels from your curtain wall or store front and switch it to any wall from the list. (you can even create a wall that's similar to the panel material...) Doing this, you can host our object on that panel...

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

You could also try making the louver out of a curtain wall panel family. This works really well.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jefft.196572 View Post
    Is there any way to change the faily type from "Wall Hsoted" to "Generic Model"? I initially made a louver in a Generic Model family and it seemed to work ok, but I figured it would work better if I made it a wall hosted family. It seemed like a good idea seeing how the proejct is a 12 story building with somewhere in the ball park of 100 louvers. The initial thought was to make an array parameter within a Wall Hosted family. Turns out... Wall hosted families do NOT snap to a Curtain Wall or Storefront.

Is there anyway to import to a generic model family or change the designation of the family type without losing all the work I've put into this thing?
    Nest the Generic Model family inside of a wall hosted family. You'll have to "redefine" the parameters controlling the louvers, in the wall hosted family, then connect the parameters in the louvers to those in the wall hosted family, and you can control the louvers from the wall hosted family.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    Nest the Generic Model family inside of a wall hosted family. You'll have to "redefine" the parameters controlling the louvers, in the wall hosted family, then connect the parameters in the louvers to those in the wall hosted family, and you can control the louvers from the wall hosted family.
    Scott,

I think the user wants the other way around. The user has a wall based family and wants to make it a generic model...

Andre Carvalho

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Wall Hosted Families to Generic Model Families

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Carvalho View Post
    Scott,

I think the user wants the other way around. The user has a wall based family and wants to make it a generic model...

Andre Carvalho
    Ok, then define a special thickness wall type, replace the panel where he wantss the louver to be, and once the wall is in the curtainwall, you can "insert" the wall hosted louver into the wall inside of that curtainwall panel.

Otherwise, there is no way to go from hosted by anything, to a non-hosted family. You are just stuck recreating it.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Wall Hosted Families to Generic Model Families

Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up just recreating the louver system. Luckily it took me about 1/2 the time to finish the family. lol. My main concern with making it a nested entity is fear of corruption. This project is setup as a workgroup. If I make a family that may bog the file down or cause errors, it would me Mary Shelly's Frankenstien in this office... people would be grabing the pitch forks and torches looking for vengence. lol. I palyed it safe and spent the time to do it correctly.