Thread: Project vs Shared parameters

Login to Give a bone

Default Project vs Shared parameters

Can the values of project specific paramaters be written to via the API or can only shared parameters be set?

Apart from achieving parameter naming consistency across multiple projects (which is a very strong argument for using them) their naming inflexibilty (basicly you have to destroy and recreate them) is sometimes a nuisance when you have project element data that you wish to keep. It is not impossible but that in itself needs an API solution to manage it.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated

Caroline

I could stop if I wanted to Danny Polkinhorn's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project vs Shared parameters

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the AUGI forums. You can access both project and shared parameters the same way, in fact, it's quite easy to access both with Element.Parameters. This will return all the element's parameters regardless of their type.

Hope that helps,

Login to Give a bone

Hi Danny,

Thanks for that. I am picking my way through the SDK and Jeremy Tamic's Labs tutorials but I am not on the SDN yet. Can you suggest any other useful C# and Revit API focused places to help understand the API?

Caroline

Login to Give a bone

Anybody can explain how do we access Type Parameters??

By using the following code (Element Parameters), I only get Instance Parameters; but I need to read/write Type Parameters as well. Is this possible with API?

// Code to filter/select elements of interest
    foreach (Parameter para in element.Parameters)

(This only returns Instance Parameters)

Thanks in advance for your help,

ae

Login to Give a bone

ughh,,, more confusion (I'm relatively newbie to API, please excuse if these are not "smart" questions...)

So I add a Type Share Parameter to one of the Families in my model.
    Then I use two Sample Codes from SDK to retrieve it: "ShowAllParameters" and "BrowseBindings". None of them recognize this new Type Parameter

ShowAllParameters uses Element.Parameter to iterate thru all parameters of the element. So my guess is that Element.Parameters doesn't return Type paremeters and only returns Instance Params. Is that true??

BrowseBinding sample code uses Autodesk.Revit.Parameters.BindingMap; which again doesn't give me this Type Shared Parameter.
    Question here is that if I have used more than one text file to add all my Shared Parameters, do all of those Shared Parameters show up in the BindingsMap? Or, just those that are in the latest (current) text file??

I also heard of TypeBinding object. There's very little documentation on the Help file and almost nothing the Developer Guide Anybody please help me understand this??

I appreciate any help,

Thanks a lot

-ae

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Inherently, the Type parameters are different beings. Similar to System Parameters, the attributes therefore are not read/write as in Instance params. Therefore, they are "read" differently. I imagine they can be loaded, as long as the object is loaded, but not listed for editing without wholesale replacing the object... thus the whole Element. I'm digging, too, so those are the only clues I can offer...
    HTH,
    LC
    (glad to 'see' you, A)