Thread: ADA Ramp

Login to Give a bone

Default ADA Ramp

I am having some trouble making an ADA ramp with the necessary turns. I have one turn that is 180 degrees, and one that is a 90 degree turn. My problem is when I make my turns, the ramp does not make a 5'x5' landing, etc. My landings are not consistent enough, and I know it is just because I am putting my setting in right. Can someone give me an example of how to do it, or a tutorial?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ADA Ramp

Welcome to AUGI and congrats on your first post
    Can you post what you have so far?

Login to Give a bone

I am attaching a with what I have so far. I am trying to use a concrete ramp. I really would like to make this as one unit so it will adjust when I move the grips. This ramp is going to be placed between two buildings, a planter, and a parking lot. Total elevational change is 4'-2".

The curb really isn't important, and I might be easier to do away with it.

I need to maintain 4' clear on the ramp portion, and 5' clear at each turn. The problems are

1) 5'x5' landing is not justified the right way.

2) The switch back should be 1 landing with 5' clear x width of landing. 11'-6" is just reference.

The line work is the configuration that I am looking for, but the widths are not exactly right.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

man, that was a pain in the you know what. I think I figured it out though.

Basically, you had 2 problems. The first was that your 1/2 landing had risers in it. To keep the ramp from doing that, I used your linework. I selected your ramp, right click and chose "add selected". I changed the justify to right, and started at the top right corner of your linework (flight start point), then chose the length of the first part of the ramp (flight end point). Now, it will say "flight start point" again. With my polar tracking on, I put my cursor to the left and typed in 5'. This tells the stair to start the next flight 5' over. Then for the flight end point, I went down to the beginning of the 1/2 landing. At this point it will ask for the flight start point again. I put my curser ot the right and typed in 11'-6". I now have a landing that is 5'X11'6. After that I just ended the stair by clicking a point straight up for the last flight end point.

The second was that the 1/4 turn landing was centered on your ramp. I took care of that by selecting the stair. When you do that, you'll see some blue grips, and 2 grey dots about midway along the stair path. Select one of those dots. That allows you to change the edges of the ramp. I drew linework for where I wanted the edges, thens used the edge grips to move the edge perpendicular to that line. That took care of the 1/4 landing.

It sounds a bit confusing, but it's really not. Let me know if you have any more questions. If someone has a better way, please let us know. I don't do too many multi landing stairs, but I got it to work out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

This ramp has changed so many times, I have actually given up on drawing it "proper" and have settled for drawing it by lines. I am still not done with the changes, we have move it 14 times, and I think it will not be right till I do the as built for it.

That being said, I do understand how you did your ramp, and it does work. The only problem I have is that if I do have to edit it, it is a real pain. It is easier to start all over again with the lines than modify the ramp.

I will work on this later.