Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bind linetypes

Login to Give a bone

Default Bind linetypes

I've just tried to make a copy of a drawing file to send outside the company.
    Done the usual things like binging/inserting Xrefs but a colleague noticed that a custom linetype that is in our company version of acadiso.lin wasn't displaying, so I checked and indeed that was the case.
    I've tried eTransmit but the zip doesn't include any linetypes.
    I've tried -XBIND but "Enter dependent Linetype name(s)" won't let me do it because "No matching Linetype names found".

Is this because the linetype is included in acadiso.lin and therefore regarded as a standard file?
    If it is, then each of our custom linetypes (all 82, and I'm sure other companies can beat that) will have to be treated as separate files.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bind linetypes

Not necessary, linetypes are saved in the drawing. They don't need an external file unless the linetype calls for a shape or font file. If that's the case Etransmit should pick them up.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Done the usual things like binging/inserting Xrefs but a colleague noticed that a custom linetype that is in our company version of acadiso.lin wasn't displaying, so I checked and indeed that was the case.
    I've tried -XBIND but "Enter dependent Linetype name(s)" won't let me do it because "No matching Linetype names found".

Is this because the linetype is included in acadiso.lin and therefore regarded as a standard file?
    If it is, then each of our custom linetypes (all 82, and I'm sure other companies can beat that) will have to be treated as separate files.
    Do your custom linetypes have their own names, or are they modified linetypes from OOTB acadiso.lin?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Not necessary, linetypes are saved in the drawing. They don't need an external file unless the linetype calls for a shape or font file. If that's the case Etransmit should pick them up.
    That's exactly what I thought!
    I've got a stand-alone PC to check that files display correctly when received by outsiders.
    If I try to add the missing .shx file I get the message that it is already included in the eTransmit zip file but when I open the extracted file on the other PC I'm asked for the missing .shx file.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Do your custom linetypes have their own names, or are they modified linetypes from OOTB acadiso.lin?
    They have their own names like C?? for a custom linetype, S?? for a service, SU?? for underground service etc.

Login to Give a bone

They have their own names like C?? for a custom linetype, S?? for a service, SU?? for underground service etc.
    Are you placing the shx files in the correct location in the "stand alone" pc like the place you keep acad "fonts"?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Are you placing the shx files in the correct location in the "stand alone" pc like the place you keep acad "fonts"?
    That's the trick. I can add the .shx files into the zip file created by eTransmit so that they extract to the same folder at "the other end" but surely the idea behind eTransmit is to pack up everything, all together, without the user having to trawl through the file trying to think of anything that might be needed and then forcing those things into the finished zip file. by hand?

Login to Give a bone

There are several option in the eTransmit setup. You have to make sure that you include fonts if you want the linetype SHX file to be included. BTW: eTransmit can bind the xrefs for you too.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Its probably a good idea to move those linetypes out of the acadiso.lin file, which is supplied out of the box with AutoCAD, and into a custom linetype file of your own. Not every company will be using the same acadiso.lin file, nor can they just replace it with the one you send them if they need it to work on the drawings. It will also make migration to new releases somewhat easier.

Login to Give a bone

There is no need to send the LIN file to anyone. With that in mind I don't see a problem with customizing the acadiso.lin file. We modified our acad.lin file 20 years ago and have been using a custom one ever since and have not had any problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast